2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2009 8:48 AM by racinmom

Accessing Admin Console from internet browser

racinmom

Title

Accessing Admin Console from internet browser

Your post

(Using FileMaker Server 9) We are having trouble with someone outside of the office accessing the Admin Console. The workstation is Windows XP, it runs through a NT4.0 server. Everyone in the office (workgroup) can access the Admin Console with no problem, but I can not access the Admin Console from any computer outside of our workgroup environment. Is this possibly still a setting in FileMaker Server or does anyone know if this is a NT server problem.

• 1. Re: Accessing Admin Console from internet browser
          TSGal

racinmom:

It sounds like your IT department has the workgroup environment tightly controlled.  Please contact your IT group (or whoever is in charge of your workgroup environment) and let them know what you are trying to accomplish.  The ports that need to be used by FileMaker Pro are referenced in Knowledge Base article #6427.  You can access that article directly at:

http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=6427

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Accessing Admin Console from internet browser
            racinmom

Thank you for answering my post. Actually through many phone calls, forums, emails, etc. I found that the problem was our ISP. All of our IP addresses are private and in order to access a computer in this office from the outside we needed a public IP address that our ISP had to provide, they also had to open the proper ports for that IP address and route traffic on those ports to the private IP address. FileMaker and others had told me about port forwarding the address, but in this case I could not access our router, the ISP had to do that for us. (They do that to keep their firewall settings secure) FileMaker could not help, Microsoft could not help, even after the settings on the server computer were set correctly it was the ISP firewall that needed to be set properly and that could only be fixed by them. I hope this information helps someone else who was running into the same brick walls and of course, had someone at FileMaker answered my post or had this information when I called it would not have taken over a month to get the server working properly.