6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2014 1:07 AM by willrollo

Accessing DB from client

Title

Accessing DB from client

Your post

I have been pulling my hair out trying to get this to work.

I can access my hosted database without problems when connecting in my own network. 

But when I am out of the network (at home) I cannot seem to connect at all using the network path field in 'open remote file'

I am using FM12 adv server. Clients are FMP13adv. All Mac computers. I have a static Ip and the router has port forwarding set up to point to the server (static ip 192.168.1.3)  

I am entering this path into the network path field

fmnet:/StaticIP/farm database. I have tried many other forms but none work...

The message I get when connecting remotely is:

The file “farm database
           .fmp12” could not be opened.  (Not Found)

Attached is screen shot of forwarded ports in case i have misconfigured...

Any help much appreciated...

2014-03-06_01.52.04_pm.png

• 1. Re: Accessing DB from client

will rollo:

Thank you for the post.

192.168.1.3 is an internal I.P. address. For network access outside the local connection, clients should be using the public I.P. address.

To determine the public I.P. address of your network do a Google search for "What is my IP?" and your public address will populate at the top of the browser window. 

Add the public I.P. address as a Favorite host for the FileMaker Pro client. Afterwards, can the client connect remotely?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Accessing DB from client

Hi

I was aware of that - I put my static (public) IP in the path field as described above. I dont put in the IP address of my FM server mac at all as the router is supposed to forward incoming connections to it - although it doesnt appear to work...

So in the remote path field I enter:

fmnet:/Static Public IP/farm database.fmp12

Is this the correct path syntax and have I got the correct port forwards set up on my router? Is there any other reason why it may not work? Can I have spaces in the filename and is it case sensitive? Thank you

• 3. Re: Accessing DB from client

will rollo:

Thank you for the reply.

FileMaker Network Sharing uses port 5003. This is the only port that needs forwarded to allow outside network access. 

I'm not an expert on your router, but if port 5003 is properly forwarded, then a remote client should be able to connect to the server as a Favorite Host via the Public I.P. address. 

Using Telnet or Network Utility's port scan, does the port scan as open from the client to the server? Is the client machine's firewall on?  

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Accessing DB from client

Hi Falcon

I have got it working - I clicked on favourites and my public IP was already there so I can now open my DB remotely - However it is very slow! 

I think this is mainly due to the speed of my broadband at the server end. Are there any ways you can suggest to speed this up ? Or can I use another type of remote connection (FWP?)

Thank you

• 5. Re: Accessing DB from client

will rollo:

Thank you for the reply.

"I think this is mainly due to the speed of my broadband at the server end."

Correct. 

"Are there any ways you can suggest to speed this up ?"

I would suggest contacting your internet service provider to see what options are available. 

The network connection of the client and whether the machine is hard wired via a LAN or using a wireless connection is also a factor. 

"Or can I use another type of remote connection (FWP?)"

I'm not sure I understand the question. How the database is designed will directly impact the performance. Web Publishing may be a faster option and is a feature of FileMaker Server 13.

FileMaker 13 WebDirect Guide

FileMaker Server 13 Custom Web Publishing with PHP

FileMaker Server 13 Custom Web Publishing with XML

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Accessing DB from client

Yes, thank you- I shall look into the web publishing option..