13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2013 9:49 AM by Sez

Activating a Copy of FMP Pro Server

Sez

Title

Activating a Copy of FMP Pro Server

Your post

Hello Team,

I have FMP Server running on an older Mac Mini.  I recently purchased another, new, Mac Mini and I want to run FMP server on it.

I had the migration manager copy all of my settings and files to the new mini.  Worked great.  All of the FileMaker server files are there, but I can't launch the start up page on the new Mac Mini.  So, my questions are:

Do I uninstall on the new Mini and install a new copy and manually move files around?

Or is there a way to just activate the server on the new Mac Mini and go forward from there?

Let me know what you think.

- Sez

• 1. Re: Activating a Copy of FMP Pro Server
          philmodjunk

What version of Server?

What OS version?

What version of Java? (some versions of the admin console need specific Java versions to run correctly as I understand this...)

• 2. Re: Activating a Copy of FMP Pro Server
            Sez

Server 12.  The new mini is running 10.8.5 the old one is 10.7.5.  With the corresponding java.  Im not getting a java error.  Is that essentially the problem?

- Sez

• 3. Re: Activating a Copy of FMP Pro Server

Sez:

Thank you for the post.

Apple's Migration Assistant is not a tested way of migrating a FileMaker Server.

Please review Chapter 5 of the FileMaker Server 12 Getting Started Guide. Chapter 5 is about upgrading or moving an existing installation.

FileMaker Server 12 Getting Started Guide

Software Update: FileMaker Server 12.0v4 and FileMaker Server 12.0v4 Advanced release notes

FileMaker Server 12, FileMaker Server 12 Advanced and Java

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Activating a Copy of FMP Pro Server
                Sez

Hi,

Thanks for the response.  So, followed the directions, started to clean install a clean copy of FMS, and now im getting an error that state "user cannot be created" and takes me back to the beginning of the install process.  This loop doesn't end.

Any ideas?

- Sez

• 5. Re: Activating a Copy of FMP Pro Server

Sez:

Thank you for the reply. 

To remove the user:

a) Open Terminal

b) Input Command:  sudo dscl . -delete /Users/fmserver

Afterwards, the installation should proceed without error. Please let me know if there any questions or if the suggested troubleshooting steps resolved the issue. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Activating a Copy of FMP Pro Server
                    Sez

Thanks.  But now I get the following errors:

Cannot open remote host, error:  SDOpenDirServiceErr

or

the following:

sudo: dscl .-delete/Users/fmserver: command not found

- Sez

• 7. Re: Activating a Copy of FMP Pro Server

Sez:

Thank you for the reply. 

Remove the ":" from your Terminal command after the sudo.

Input Command:  

sudo dscl . -delete /Users/fmserver

Copy and paste the above text into the Terminal window. Let me know if there are any other questions. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Activating a Copy of FMP Pro Server
                        Sez

Hi,

Ok, I copied and pasted the line from your email.  And it did install the server.  However now instead of launching the console so I can complete the installation, the ire file is opening in BBEdit for some reason.  I can't get it to launch.  

I don't know why every step of this is such a pain, but do you have any thoughts on why it won't launch the ire file?

- Sez

• 9. Re: Activating a Copy of FMP Pro Server

Sez:

Thank you for the reply. 

A few more questions to assist us in narrowing this down:

1. Do you mean "JRE" file as in Java Runtime Environment?

2. What version of Java is installed?

FileMaker Server 12, FileMaker Server 12 Advanced and Java

3.  What do you see when trying to access the FileMaker Server start page at http://[serverIP]:16000 in a web browser?

4. Does the .jnlp file download? 

5. What browser(s) have been tried? 

If only Safari was tried, then what happens when using FireFox or Chrome?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Activating a Copy of FMP Pro Server
                            Sez

Again, Thanks for your help.

When I go directly to the url I get the same message on Safari, Chrome, and Firefox:

Start Page

FileMaker Server Admin Console is starting. The Deployment Assistant will guide you through the remaining steps required to deploy FileMaker Server. Please wait.

Click here if the Admin Console did not launch automatically.

The console never launches, and when I go to double click on the file itself it launches BBEDit

- Sez

• 11. Re: Activating a Copy of FMP Pro Server
                              Sez

BTW, im using Mountain Lion 10.8.5 and Java 7 update 45.

• 12. Re: Activating a Copy of FMP Pro Server

Sez:

Thank you for the reply.

Sounds like BBEDit somehow became the default "Open with" for .jnlp files, and BBEDit cannot open a .jnlp file (Java applet). 

This is a long shot, but I found an old archived Apple help article (Mac OS X 10.5) that might be our solution:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2828

Symptoms

After installing a Java software update, Java Web Start JNLP document files may lose their association with the Java Web Start launcher application, and may open using another application instead, or not launch at all.

Resolution

To re-register JNLP files with Java Web Start.app, use one of the following methods:

1. In the Finder, open the /System/Library/CoreServices folder. Simply opening this folder will re-associate JNLP files with Java Web Start.app.

2. Close the CoreServices Finder window.

OR

1. Open Terminal (located in /Applications/Utilities/).

2. Type or paste the following command, then press Return:

3. /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/ LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister "/System/Library/CoreServices/Java Web Start.app"

4. Close the Terminal window

If the above doesn't work, you might try uninstalling BBEDit. Please keep me updated on any progress.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Activating a Copy of FMP Pro Server
                                  Sez

Hi,

Neither of those options worked, sadly.  So I removed BBEdit and the console launched.  However it crashed in the middle of configuration, was frozen and didn't let me do anything.  So I then removed FMS, reinstalled, and now Im up and running.

So it was a bit of a root canal, but Im back in business.

Thanks for hanging in there with me.

- Sez