8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2009 7:03 AM by dysartj

Admin Console does not reflect database server status

dysartj

Title

Admin Console does not reflect database server status

Your post

I discovered my Mac Pro powered off. Perhaps a fault with the hardware. It shares a UPS with other computers that did not lose power. I don't believe htere was any power interruption.

When I restarted Admin Console did not start. A second attempt started it. It appears that the database server is not running, so I clicked Start database server. The system simply hung. I had to Force Quit Console. After several attempts, I checked the event log which indicated that the databases were opening.

I checked with FMPro app on the network and have access to the databases, but the Console  still indicates the database server is not running ("0" files open etc).

It appears that the console is not "attached" to the server.

Any suggestions how to reestablish the connection between console and the server?

JD

• 1. Re: Admin Console does not reflect database server status
          rmanook

Hi dysartj,

Thanks for posting!

Launch Terminal and try the following:

fmsadmin close (this will close all of the databases so that they will not be damaged when we start/stop the services)

fmsadmin stop server

fmsadmin start server 

Let me know how it works out.

Thanks!

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Admin Console does not reflect database server status
            dysartj

Hi tsturtle

Thank you for your rapid response. I had to wait until the weekend to work on the server.

I tried the terminal command as suggested but got an error. The databases are available to users but the admin console still responds that the database server is not running. I have confirmed that the power was lost to the computer unexpectedly, a situation that will not occur again. The UPS has been replaced.

I have limited knowledge of Terminal processes, but here is the text of the input and resulting error message.

Last login: Sun Dec  7 15:27:13 on console
            omegas-mac-pro:~ omega$ fmsadmin close
            fmsadmin: really close database(s)? (y, n) y
            fmsadmin: Connection Refused: Server is unavailable.
            fmsadmin: Permission denied.
            Error: 9
            omegas-mac-pro:~ omega$

Omega is the name of the Mac Pro user. It ahs full administration rights.

The database server continues to function flawlessly, doing regular backups etc.

The only problem is trying to control the server admin.

Any thoughts on how I should proceed?

• 3. Re: Admin Console does not reflect database server status
              TSGal

dysartj:

Thank you for your post.

Something has happened to your admin privileges.  After answering 'yes' to "really close database(s)?", you should be prompted for the password.  Since you are getting Server is unavailable, there is something else going on at the system level.  Do you have single sign on for your server?  I wonder if that is interfering....

Go into your Java Applications Cache Viewer (depending on which version of Java, either in by itself or in Java Web Start) and remove the FileMaker Server apps.

Then, restart the FileMaker Server Admin Console.  This will reset the Java cache and you should be able to sign back in.

Let me know how this turns out.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Admin Console does not reflect database server status
                dysartj

Hi TSGal.

Thank you. Thank you.

I have just tried your java apps removal and everything wotks fine. I noticed when in there that the last two were dated the day of my power failure (additional safety UPS now installed!!) and had a generic name rather than the name I assigned when I did the original setup.

As soon as I saw that, I was confident your solution would work.

I had to wait until the office was closed for the holidays just in case I needed extra time to reinstall etc. The databases were always available and onlt the Admin console was disabled, so productivity was unaffected.

I have been advocating a forum setup for Filemaker, and am very happy with the way it functions, and is monitored.

Thanks again, and Season's Greetings!

JD

• 5. Re: Admin Console does not reflect database server status
                  dysartj

I am back.

I have the same issue as before .... 

"When I restarted Admin Console did not start. A second attempt started it. It appears that the database server is not running, so I clicked Start database server. The system simply hung. I had to Force Quit Console. After several attempts, I checked the event log which indicated that the databases were opening.

I checked with FMPro app on the network and have access to the databases, but the Console  still indicates the database server is not running ("0" files open etc).

It appears that the console is not "attached" to the server."

The resolution last time does not work. I upgraded to MacOS 10.5.7 and restarted. I am not sure that the issue wasn't there before the upgrade. The server is set to start automatically when the computer restarts, nence the files are available. I have deleted java preferences (I have Java web Start 12.2.It is curious that when running on my laptop, this application has a full menu list .. EDIT APPLICATION VIEW HELP, but on my Mac pro it shows only the APP name. In addition, the window on my laptop has USER and SYSTEM tabs while the MAC Pro window has "Java Cache Viewer" and a SHOW window with drop down options APPLICATIONS, RESOURCES, and DELETED APPS)

I have removed the Filmaker Server apps from Java, have tried closing databases and stopping server in Terminal, have reinstalled Java 10.5 Update 2, have repaired permission from two different Admin accounts and restarted. (NOTE here that permission repairs are repeated each time)

Repairing permissions for “OMEGA HD”
                  Reading permissions database.
                  Reading the permissions database can take several minutes.
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/DVD.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSettings.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSources.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Movies.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Music.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Photos.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Podcasts.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/TV.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
                  Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
                  Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/InternetUtilities.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
                  Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHelper.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/appletviewer", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/apt", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/extcheck", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/idlj", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/jar", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/jarsigner", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/java", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/javac", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/javadoc", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/javah", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/javap", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/jconsole", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/jdb", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/jinfo", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/jmap", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/jps", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/jsadebugd", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/jstack", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/jstat", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/jstatd", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/keytool", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/native2ascii", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/orbd", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/pack200", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/policytool", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/rmic", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/rmid", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/rmiregistry", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/serialver", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/servertool", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/tnameserv", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Commands/unpack200", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/unpack200", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/tnameserv", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/servertool", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/serialver", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/rmiregistry", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/rmid", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/rmic", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/policytool", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/pack200", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/orbd", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/native2ascii", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/native2ascii", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/keytool", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/jstatd", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/jstat", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/jstack", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/jsadebugd", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/jps", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/jmap", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/jinfo", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/jdb", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/jconsole", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/javap", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/javah", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/javadoc", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/javac", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/java", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/jarsigner", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/idlj", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/extcheck", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/apt", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/appletviewer", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RawCamera.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
                  Permissions differ on "private/var/spool/cups/cache/rss", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are drwxrwxr-x .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/BlackAndWhiteEffect.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources",…
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/CubeTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", sho…
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/DissolveTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", s…
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/DropletTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", s…
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/FadeThroughBlackTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeRe…
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/FlipTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", shoul…
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/MosaicFlipTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources"…
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/MosaicFlipTransitionSmall.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeReso…
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/PageFlipTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", s…
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/PushTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", shou…
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/RevealTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", sh…
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/SepiaEffect.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should b…
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/TwirlTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", sho…
                  Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/WipeTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", sho…
                  Permissions repair complete

I do have Server 10 Advanced for upgrade, but I would like to get 9 resolved first. The main issue is having a lot odf databases open that are used only sparingly.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

BTW, the link Java update 3 for 10.5 seems to have been disabled on the Apple download site

• 6. Re: Admin Console does not reflect database server status
                    TSGal

dysartj:

I apologize for the delay in responding.

From your extensive post, it is still difficult to determine what may be the cause. 

Although I doubt that Mac OS X 10.5.7 has any effect, I would eliminate that possibility by uninstalling and reinstalling FileMaker Server.  This will write new files in case any changes were made with the Mac OS X 10.5.7 upgrade.

After the reinstallation, try starting FileMaker Server and if that works, then set FileMaker Server to start automatically on restarts.

I realize you posted this three weeks ago, so you may have already found a solution.  If so, please post your solution so others who encounter the same difficulty can learn from it.  If you are still having the problem, let me know where you stand now.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: Admin Console does not reflect database server status
                      dysartj

Hello TSGal,

Thank you for responding. I had every confidence you would.

I am going to try the reinstall (actually I am going to install FM Server 10). I have been waiting to do this because the files are serving properly and we were in a critical time in terms of access requirements. I didn't want to be without the data. we are K-12 so things are going to quiet down.

I anticipate doing the re-install this weekend, so shoul have feedback early next week.

I'll post results.

Thanks again.

JD

• 8. Re: Admin Console does not reflect database server status
                        dysartj

Hi All,

I have resolved this issue following recommendations from TSGal. I uninstalled FMS 9, made sure all MacOS updates were done and repaired permissions, then reinstalled FMS 10. I believe I would have been equally successful reinstalling FMS 9, but I had the new software so used it.

All features are working well so far with FMS 10 on a Mac Pro, Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (8-core) running 10.5.7.

I have had some issues ever since I did the MacOS upgrade from 10.4 to 10.5. It got worse as I updated to 10.5.6 and then 10.5.7 so probably something during the 10.4 to 10.5 transition affected FMS

Thanks for the help again.

JD