10 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2014 11:39 AM by disabled_ntaylor

Admin console keeps disconnecting - Trial limitation?

missionman

Title

Admin console keeps disconnecting - Trial limitation?

Your post

I've just downloaded and installed trial versions of both Filemaker Pro 12 and Filemaker Pro Server 12 on the same Windows 7 machine.

After resolving the issue with Java 7 and the server, everything is working perfectly. So far, I can use Filemaker Pro to open server based database files with no problems at all. It's quite impressive just how easy it is to set everything up.

However, when I use the Admin Console, it keeps losing the connection to the server after a few minutes. I have to keep logging in over and over again. I just want to know if I have a genuine problem, or if the server keeps disconnecting me because it is one of the server limititations in the trial version.

• 1. Re: Admin console keeps disconnecting - Trial limitation?

Muso: 

Thank you for your post.

The FileMaker Server 12 Advanced trial is a 30-day fully featured version. No limitation is placed on the Admin Console during the trial period. Can you check Task Manager to see if the fmsadmin.exe process starts running and stays running?

TSFalcon
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Admin console keeps disconnecting - Trial limitation?
            missionman

As far as I can tell, the server is working perfectly. I can connect with Filemaker Pro 12 and it stays connected.

The Admin console loses the connection after a few minutes. The actual time it stays connected varies.

This is the message when the disconnection happens:

Admin Server Connection Error: The admin console cannot establish a connection to the admin server

I had a look at the logs:

Administrator "fmsadmin" no longer responding; connection closed (127.0.0.1)

Warning 628

• 3. Re: Admin console keeps disconnecting - Trial limitation?

Muso:

Thank you for the prompt response.

Sounds like something may be terminating the process. Launch the FileMaker Server Admin Console, open Task Manager and then show processes from all users. Specifically, watch the fmsadmin.exe process.

In the short period before the crash does a spike occur in CPU usage or Memory?

Is any anti-virus or security software installed and running on the machine?

TSFalcon
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Admin console keeps disconnecting - Trial limitation?
                missionman

I started the Windows 7 Task manager and then tried starting the Filemaker Server Admin console.

I'm now getting some weird results.

Two different things are happening, and it seems to be totally random as to which case happens.

First, I double click on the Admin Console icon on the desktop and I get two dialogue boxes appear, one after the other. The first says it is trying to download the program from the server. The second dialogue then appears and says the download has failed.

Second, I double click on the Admin Console icon on the desktop, and then about 3 minutes later, I get the standard Windows 7 permission dialogue. I click Run and then the password dialogue appears, but it disconnects from the server before I have time to enter my password and I get an error dialogue. On the Processes tab of the Task Manager there is an entry for javaw.exe. In the resource monitor I get an entry for an fsAdminServer.exe process but not one for a fsadmin.exe process.

• 5. Re: Admin console keeps disconnecting - Trial limitation?

Muso:

Thank you for the additional information.

The fmadminserver.exe process belongs to Java and also needs to be running along with the fmadmin.exe process in order to launch the FileMaker Server Admin Console.

The full list of FileMaker Server processes broken down by operating system can be found in KB 6595.

Try manually restarting the process:

1. Open Windows Command Prompt by clicking on the Windows Start icon in the  bottom left hand corner of the task bar.

2. Browse to the default FileMaker directory:

C:/Program Files/FileMaker/FileMaker Server/Database Server/

3. Type the command “fmsadmin RESTART adminserver”

4. When prompted with “fmsadmin: really restart adminserver?” confirm by typing “y” for yes and hitting enter.

Afterwards, delete the Java cache. Detailed instructions on how can be found at the following URL: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/plugin_cache.xml

To confirm if Java is working properly, open the following URL: http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp

If Java is not working properly, install the latest version from the same site. Otherwise, download a fresh copy of the Java applet from http://[serverIP]:16000 in a web browser from the FileMaker start page. If prompted, allow Java to run. 

Lastly, since third party software could stop necessary processes from running is any anti-virus or security software installed on the machine?

TSFalcon
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Admin console keeps disconnecting - Trial limitation?

I'm having a similar problem which has caused me to consider this question:

Why is Filemaker, Inc. relying on Java to perform such a critical function and cause so many problems?

Aren't there enough engineers working for Filemaker who could write an admin program without relying on Java or other third party application overwhich Filemaker has no control?

My second thought when I began to experience this inability to connect with a remote server was brought about by the Java websites warning that older versions should be deleted when updating because of security issues. This raises two questions:

What happened to be the big advertising campaign when Java was first shipping that proclaimed how bug free and safe Java was because they had so many geniuses on staff who tested everything thoroughly. Now we are told it is not a safe and secure program and we should delete the old versions and keep our fingers crosses for the new patches?

Of course that raises the question of how Java installs itself. And why if security is such a concert does Java NOT clean up after itself and delete all of the old files that are now security issues. I used Advanced System Care Uninstaller which has an additional button to remove all of the files applications leave behind when uninstalled. The record so far is 1000 files left behind after one uninstall.

• 7. Re: Admin console keeps disconnecting - Trial limitation?
                      TSGal

Jack Rodgers:

Thank you for your post.

Your questions are better suited for Product Management and Development, so I would encourage you to enter this into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entires into this web form are automatically entered into a database hosted by Development and Product Management, where they are then read, discussed and considered for future releases.  Although I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are a couple of questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Admin console keeps disconnecting - Trial limitation?
                        AlexS_2

I am also facing the similar issue on Win 7 (64-bit) with FMS 11.0.5.510.

I tried clearing the Temp Java files from Java setting and re-installed Java 7u55 but FMS console is crashing. As per the event log , it says-

"2014-04-29 07:22:14.782 -0700 Warning 628 PC_SERVER Administrator "fmsadmin" no longer responding; connection closed. (IP Address)

2014-04-29 07:22:31.749 -0700 Information 518 PC_SERVER Administrator connected: "fmsadmin [192.168.0.5]" (fmadminserver)"

I checked the Task Manager and it stops fmsadminserver.exe , close the application and again reconnects with fmsadminserver.exe in task manager.
                             While crashing it is losing the connection to the fmserver console but not with database, Files are hosting perfectly fine and all the scheduled tasks are running in the background.

Bit defender is the anti-virus which is disabled , also the TCP/UDP port numbers for FMServer 16000, 16001 has been added in Firewall.

Kindly suggest what can be done.

• 9. Re: Admin console keeps disconnecting - Trial limitation?
                          HugoLidia

This problem with the AdminConsole has been raised by so many people on both Windows and Apple machines and nobody appears to have obtained a resolution.  So how come there are companies providing hosting services???  I have the same issue running the Server 13 trial software on a Windows 8 platform, same error messages, same auto disconnect after a variable short period of time, but the server appears to be servicing client requests as client can log, use and log out of database hosted by server - BUT THIS IS ALL running as a trial on one machine, so not great simulation as in real life would be very different.,

Wish somebody could suggest a viable solution

• 10. Re: Admin console keeps disconnecting - Trial limitation?

@All: 

Thank you for the posts.

Anyone who is still experiencing issues accessing the FileMaker Server Admin Console may want to call Technical Support.

Being able to launch the FileMaker Server Admin Console, installation and deployment are free topics through FileMaker's technical support, so please don't hesitate to call as we always want a user to be able to administer his/her server. 

If you are located in the U.S. or Canada, then contact technical support toll free at 1-800-325-2747. The hours are between 7 AM - 5 PM PDT. 

If you are located outside of North America, then locate the technical support office nearest you from the following link:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/intl/

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.