8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2011 11:30 PM by Jozef

Admin Server Connection Error

Jozef

Title

Admin Server Connection Error

Your post

Hi,

Mac OS X Server (Version 10.6.8),  FMS 11.0v2

After updating server on FMS 11.0v3 and restarting computer it is not possible to lunch console with the error: Admin Server Connection Error. 

Is there any hotfix for for Java for this version, as it was after updating on 11.0v2?

Thank You.

• 1. Re: Admin Server Connection Error
          TSDuck

Hi Jozef:

Thanks for posting.

The error, “Admin Server Connection Error” can be caused by a wide range of issues, ranging from Java, port conflicts, or a resource issue on the machine.  The first thing to check is the Java version running on your machine.

Navigate to MacintoshHD -> Applications -> Utilities and open the Java preferences.  Under the General tab, what version of Java is listed?  The most recent version should be Java SE 6 1.6.0_26.  Click on the network tab and hit the Delete Files button.  Make sure both “Applications and Applets” and “Trace and Log Files” are checked off.  Click OK and the Java cache will be cleared.  From the utilities folder, open up the terminal and run these commands.

fmsadmin close    (this will close all of your database files)

fmsadmin stop server

fmsadmin start server

Open up a safari browser page and go to http://localhost:16000.  This page should bring up a prompt for launching the admin console.  Test and see if the admin console is able to launch from here.  Let me know whether clearing the Java cache and restarting the server process resolves the admin connection error.

TSDuck

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Admin Server Connection Error
            Jozef

Hi TSDuck,

thank You for answer. Meanwhile our server was upgraded to Mac OS X 10.7.1 and the problem is still there. Version of Java is SE6  1.6.0_26-b03-383. I did all steps: delete Java cache, restart server using terminal. Start page from browser opens OK but the Admin console can not start giving the same error msg:Admin Server Connection...

Thank You for Your assisting me.

Jozef

• 3. Re: Admin Server Connection Error
              TSDuck

Jozef:

How many NIC’s are running on your server?

If you have multiple NIC’s, disable each one, reboot the server, and then try launching the admin console again.

I’d also like to verify that the appropriate ports are open for the admin console.  Having the required ports blocked or in use could cause this error.  Open the Network Utility located in /Applications/Utilities/ and select the option for "Port Scan". Enter localhost in the option "Enter an internet or IP address to scan for open ports." and check the box labeled "Only test ports between". In the first box to the right of that check box, enter 16000.  In the second box enter 16004 as the second port.  Click Scan and post the results here.

TSDuck

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Admin Server Connection Error
                Jozef

Hello TSDuck,

ports 16000, 16001 and 16004 are open. There is 2 NIC's in the server. I made one inactive and restart the server. But still not helping.

I need to stop also the last NIC? Because I manage the server remotely.

Thank You

jozef

• 5. Re: Admin Server Connection Error
                  TSDuck

Jozef:

Since you are managing the server remotely, you can leave the last NIC connected, but keep the second NIC disabled.  At this point, you will need to try a reinstall of FileMaker Server 11, as there may be an issue with the installed server files.  Please go through these steps for the reinstall.

1. Make sure users are logged out of any databases.  Open the terminal and run these commands to stop the database server.

fmsadmin close  

fmsadmin stop server

2. Backup your database files.  These files can be found at the following location.

MacintoshHD/Library/FileMaker Server/Data/Databases/

3. Delete the FileMaker Server folder.  This folder is found at the location below.

MacintoshHD/Library/FileMaker Server/

4. Reboot your machine.

5. Run the install from the FileMaker Server 11v3 installer.

After the install finishes, it should attempt to launch deployment through the admin console.  Let me know if the admin console launches after trying these steps. 

TSDuck

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Admin Server Connection Error
                    Jozef

I have FileMaker Server 11.0v3 Updater only. Is it the same as installer (or where I can get it)?

Jozef

• 7. Re: Admin Server Connection Error
                      TSDuck

Jozef:

You can use the FileMaker Server 11v3 trial installer, which can be activated using your license key.  The FileMaker Server 11v3 trial installer can be found at http://fmdl.filemaker.com/TBUB/eleven/fms_trial_11.0.3.309.dmg.  Once the installer is downloaded, stop the databases using the terminal commands.  Follow this by running the FileMaker Server 11 installer to uninstall FileMaker Server 11.  You can then remove the folder and reboot the machine.  Let me know if this link helps.

TSDuck

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Admin Server Connection Error
                        Jozef

Hallo TSDuck,

link works well. After reinstalling fms console works fine, without problems.

Thanks a lot

Jozef