1 2 3 Previous Next 32 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2015 12:09 PM by honeycomb

After running a while, fmserverd is "Not Responding" in Maverick with rapid "Recent hang" counts...

mechai

Title

After running a while, fmserverd is "Not Responding" in Maverick with rapid "Recent hang" counts increment

Your post

Hi guys,

I just recently bought a new Mac Pro with 32GB of RAM to host my FileMaker 13 server. I just inspect my Activity Monitor and saw that it is "Not Responding". However, I can still connect to it outside through FM client as well as CWP is working with XML.

The "Recent hangs" counter also keep on incrementing. I am wondering if anyone of you come across this behavior? Memory leak?

Regards

mech

2014-03-21_at_9.15_pm.png

• 1. Re: After running a while, fmserverd is "Not Responding" in Maverick with rapid "Recent hang" counts...

Me Chai Swee:

Thank you for the post.

To what version of Mac OS X is the FileMaker Server 13 installed?

The screenshot appears to be Mac OS X Mavericks, but is the Mavericks OS up to date?

Run all operating system software updates to 10.9.2, and afterwards if the issues persists, then uninstall and reinstall FileMaker Server 13.

Please keep me updated with any progress. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: After running a while, fmserverd is "Not Responding" in Maverick with rapid "Recent hang" counts...
            mechai

Yup. It is 10.9.2 Mavericks latest. FM also 13 latest at version 13.0.1. Care to investigate. Any more info needed?

Update more information

FM Server is on 2013 Mac Pro 3.7GHz Quad-Core with 32GB of RAM.
                 FM Server has Database cache of 16GB

FM Server has 28 databases hosted. Size is roughly 160GB.

FM Server uptime is 6 days after this "Not Responding" thing appear. The strange thing is that my CWP(XML) and outside FM client can connect with no issue. 

• 3. Re: After running a while, fmserverd is "Not Responding" in Maverick with rapid "Recent hang" counts...
              mechai

After re-installing, I still encounter this problem. Here are more information and screenshot.

• 4. Re: After running a while, fmserverd is "Not Responding" in Maverick with rapid "Recent hang" counts...
                KevinWojniak

We're seeing this too, with FM Server 12 on 10.9.2. Our team reports the server hanging and I end up rebooting the server, but I actually looked into it for the first time and noticed fmserverd hanging.

• 6. Re: After running a while, fmserverd is "Not Responding" in Maverick with rapid "Recent hang" counts...
                  wbr

We're seeing this too. Brand new Mac Pro with lastest OS, and latest FM Server 13 with exact java version recommended by FM Inc.

Activity Monitor reports fmserverd as "not responding".

What is the resolution to this problem?

• 7. Re: After running a while, fmserverd is "Not Responding" in Maverick with rapid "Recent hang" counts...
                    Millennium

Same problem here too.  We moved from FM Server on a Win2012 server to the latest and greatest Mac server because of the FM Server Advanced 12 Error 701 IWP terminated abnormally which FileMaker seems unwilling or unable to fix.  Any news on a fix?

• 8. Re: After running a while, fmserverd is "Not Responding" in Maverick with rapid "Recent hang" counts...

@All:

Thank you for the replies.

First, the 701 issues encountered with FileMaker Server 12 are not the same issue if encountered with FileMaker Server 13.

FileMaker released a patch for the 701 error related to FileMaker Server 12:

Software Patch: Instant Web Publishing stability hotfix.

Another user reported 701 errors with FileMaker Server 13 here:

Error 701 WebDirect crashes

We would like to gather the following information from anyone who is experiencing 701 errors with FileMaker Server 13:

1. FileMaker Server logs

2. System information, system logs, and full system specifications

Check your inbox at the top of this page for the submission instructions.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: After running a while, fmserverd is "Not Responding" in Maverick with rapid "Recent hang" counts...
                        mechai

I have sent the crash log and machine spec details as you have indicated TSFalcon. Please see if your guys can fixed it. Here is more comment

Hope it helps you guys to debug the issue. 

The "Not Responding” is really weird. If I don’t remove into my system and mouse around (cursor moving) the “Not Responding” will not appear at my Activity Monitor. However, if I move my cursor around, it will become “Not Responding”. But everything seems to work just fine even if it show “Not Responding”. Amazing!

Another issue is where everything crash as can be seen on the crash log. It is entirely different issue I guessed: 

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000

Thread 68 Crashed:

0   com.apple.CoreGraphics         0x00007fff929de441 CGDataProviderCopyData + 331

1   com.apple.ImageIO.framework   0x00007fff91aab0ca CGImageReadCreateWithProvider + 229

2   com.apple.ImageIO.framework   0x00007fff91aaaf51 CGImageSourceCreateWithDataProvider + 202

3   com.filemaker.support.framework 0x000000010dcd2a8a Draco::Image2D::CreateImageFromData(Draco::ByteBuffer const*) + 40

4   com.filemaker.support.framework 0x000000010dcd29c8 Draco::Image2D::Image2D(Draco::ByteBuffer const*, bool, Draco::QuadChar const&, Draco::UniversalPath const*, Draco::PhotoOrientation, Draco::PListMetadata*) + 304

5   com.filemaker.support.framework 0x000000010dcd2d2e Draco::Image2D::LoadImage(Draco::ByteBuffer const&, Draco::QuadChar const&, Draco::UniversalPath const*, Draco::PhotoOrientation, Draco::PListMetadata*, bool) + 108

6   com.filemaker.dbengine.framework 0x000000010cb6481d Draco::DBBinaryData::GetExactThumbnailOnHost(Draco::CoordSize*, bool, Draco::CacheItem**, bool, unsigned int&) const + 1935

7   com.filemaker.dbengine.framework 0x000000010cd17a43 Draco::RCDownloadThumbnail::Perform() + 609

8   com.filemaker.dbengine.framework 0x000000010cd2054c Draco::RCNetworkStack::DispatchTransaction(Draco::RCConnection*, unsigned int, unsigned char*, unsigned int) + 1220

9   com.filemaker.dbengine.framework 0x000000010cd1ff8d RPO_i::Perform(unsigned int, char const*, unsigned int, OctetSeq&, OctetSeq_out) + 173

10  com.filemaker.dbengine.framework 0x000000010cd1c271 _0RL_lcfn_07aabdf5dad7309d_70000000(omniCallDescriptor*, omniServant*) + 180

11  com.filemaker.omniorb4.framework 0x000000010d5cdcef omniCallHandle::upcall(omniServant*, omniCallDescriptor&) + 1099

12  com.filemaker.dbengine.framework 0x000000010cd1d459 _impl_RCFMP12::_dispatch(omniCallHandle&) + 1697

13  com.filemaker.dbengine.framework 0x000000010cd1d7d0 non-virtual thunk to _impl_RCFMP12::_dispatch(omniCallHandle&) + 16

14  com.filemaker.omniorb4.framework 0x000000010d6bf5bf omni::omniOrbPOA::dispatch(omniCallHandle&, omniLocalIdentity*) + 715

15  com.filemaker.omniorb4.framework 0x000000010d6977b2 omniLocalIdentity::dispatch(omniCallHandle&) + 94

16  com.filemaker.omniorb4.framework 0x000000010d627ba6 omni::GIOP_S::handleRequest() + 330

17  com.filemaker.omniorb4.framework 0x000000010d627805 omni::GIOP_S::dispatcher() + 323

18  com.filemaker.omniorb4.framework 0x000000010d644ad6 omni::giopWorker::real_execute() + 1378

19  com.filemaker.omniorb4.framework 0x000000010d644cc6 omni::giopWorker::execute() + 46

20  com.filemaker.omniorb4.framework 0x000000010d64a1d7 omniAsyncWorker::real_run() + 657

21  com.filemaker.dbengine.framework 0x000000010c9fbf8c Draco::threadCreateInterceptor(omni::omniInterceptors::createThread_T::info_T&) + 22

22  com.filemaker.omniorb4.framework 0x000000010d64a482 omniAsyncWorker::run(void*) + 46

23  com.filemaker.omniorb4.framework 0x000000010d6cee49 omni_thread_wrapper + 148

24  libsystem_pthread.dylib       0x00007fff914f8899 _pthread_body + 138

25  libsystem_pthread.dylib       0x00007fff914f872a _pthread_start + 137

26  libsystem_pthread.dylib       0x00007fff914fcfc9 thread_start + 13

Regards

mech

• 10. Re: After running a while, fmserverd is "Not Responding" in Maverick with rapid "Recent hang" counts...
                          davidsan

Hi! Has anybody found a solution to this issue?

I am having the same behaviour in FM 12.0v6 Server on Mavericks 10.9.4.

• 11. Re: After running a while, fmserverd is "Not Responding" in Maverick with rapid "Recent hang" counts...
                            davidsan

I think this issue is beyond our control. It seems related to Mavericks,10.9.4 at least, and to Activity Monitor.

I created a second account on the server and even though, Activity Monitor shows fmserverd is not responding in the first account, in the second account the red labeled error is not present.

It seems the issue is something that has changed in Mavericks Activity Monitor. It seems our only hope is to wait until Apple fixes the issue or go back to Mountain Lion (if you can).

• 12. Re: After running a while, fmserverd is "Not Responding" in Maverick with rapid "Recent hang" counts...
                              Michael Frankel

Having the same issue after a fresh install of FMS 12.0v6 running under Mavericks (10.9.5).

The prior install was 12.0v4 and Lion 10.7.5. Here's how the entire process went:

1. Closed all databases & shut down the server.

2. Attempted to remove FMS 12 (hung for 20 mins and I finally force-quit the uninstaller).

3. Attempted to remove FMS 12 again - the uninstaller said it was no longer there.

4. Installed Mavericks.

5. Installed all updates to Mavericks.

6. Attempted to install FMS 12.0v6 (hung for 25 mins and I finally force-quit the installer).

7. Attempted to install FMS 12.0v6 - same issue.

8. Manually killed ALL server processes.

9. Rebooted the server computer.

10. Manually removed FileMaker Server after removing the Databases & Backups folders.

11. Attempted to kill some remaining FM Server background processes (even though they did NOT show up in the Activity monitor).

12. Rebooted the server computer. This effectively killed the processes mentioned in #11.

13. Emptied the trash, which contained the old FileMaker Server folder. Due to the large number of cache files, the FM Server folder had over 400,000 files to be deleted - this took almost one hour.

14. Rebooted the server computer.

15. Did a clean install of FM Server 12.0v6.

16. Imported settings from the old server. Verified that the server was up & running.

17. Shut down the server, moved the old back into their proper place, then restarted the server.

18. Verified that everything was running properly.

So the server is up & running and the customer is NOT reporting any issues, however the process fmserverd is showing and Not Responding in the activity monitor.

I suspect this is a Mavericks issue unless someone has further input.

Anyone have any ideas?

• 14. Re: After running a while, fmserverd is "Not Responding" in Maverick with rapid "Recent hang" counts...
                                Michael Frankel

Replying to Vincent L, the server is a 2011 Mac Mini, so there are no PowerNap setting showing.

Is this a hidden setting for this machine?

1 2 3 Previous Next