10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2014 7:26 AM by photowyzard

After Upgrade...How to RESET IIS?

photowyzard

Title

After Upgrade...How to RESET IIS?

Your post

We are currently in the process of upgrading a number of Servers from FMP 12 to FMP 13.  Part of the process is that IIS is reset after the upgrade is done.

In the past, we have asked IT to do the IIS reset.  I have been made aware that we can do this ourselves.  Can anyone guide me through the process, I have never done an IIS reset.

Platform: Windows 7

• 1. Re: After Upgrade...How to RESET IIS?

Art:

Thank you for the post.

FileMaker Server 13 does not require the user to configure IIS.

Understanding the system requirements for FileMaker Server 13

Additionally, from the article above:

"The web server that is included with Windows does not need to be enabled.  If it is enabled, FileMaker Server needs to confirm that no existing website uses port 80 or port 443.  The FileMaker Server installer creates its own instance of the IIS web server on both the master and worker (if applicable) machines and configures this web server to use port 80 for HTTP and port 443 for HTTPS and on the master machine port 16000 for the Admin Console.  If the IIS web server that comes with Windows is enabled, the FileMaker Server installer will prompt you to disable any existing websites using port 80 or port 443 before continuing with the installation of FileMaker Server."

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: After Upgrade...How to RESET IIS?
            photowyzard

Hi TS,

Thanks for the response.  I will look into this and let you know if the information provided helps resolve the issue.

Regards,

Art

• 3. Re: After Upgrade...How to RESET IIS?
              photowyzard

TS

We do not use BONJOUR in our environment.  How does that impact your recommendation?

• 4. Re: After Upgrade...How to RESET IIS?

Art:

Thank you for the post.

If the Bonjour service is either not installed or not running, then FileMaker Server will not be visible to FileMaker clients.

From page 175 of the FileMaker Server 13 Help Guide:

"This message can occur on Windows only. The Bonjour service is not installed or not running when FileMaker Server starts. The result is that FileMaker Server does not appear in the Local Hosts list in the Open Remote dialog box of FileMaker Pro clients, or in the File Browser of FileMaker Go client. However, users can still connect to FileMaker Server by specifying an IP address or hostname.

To fix this problem, start Bonjour from the Services control panel before starting FileMaker Server."

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: After Upgrade...How to RESET IIS?
                  photowyzard

Bonjour is NOT installed, nor do we wish to install, run it or use it. 

We run "Internet Information Services" Manager or IIS, under Admin tools, we select:

FMWebsite

- Edit Bindings > ADD > " http - All unassigned - 16000"

Close

This is supposed to allow REMOTE USERS to see the server.  Please advise if this is correct or if any other step is missing.

• 6. Re: After Upgrade...How to RESET IIS?

Art:

Thank you for the reply.

If the Bonjour service is either not installed or not running, then FileMaker Server will not be visible to FileMaker clients.

The result is that FileMaker Server does not appear in the Local Hosts list in the Open Remote dialog box of FileMaker Pro clients, or in the File Browser of FileMaker Go client. 

In other words without Bonjour, then neither local nor remote users will see the server broadcasting; however, users can still connect to FileMaker Server by specifying an IP address or hostname. The server's public I.P. address may also be added as a "Favorite Host" in the open remote dialog.  

16000 is used for the FileMaker Server 13 Admin Console. Port 5003 is used for FileMaker Network Sharing and will need to be open on all machines using FileMaker Pro.

Please let me know if any of the above needs further clarification. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: After Upgrade...How to RESET IIS?
                      philmodjunk

TSFalcon, with all due respect, I think you have misunderstood Art's question. They have been functioning just fine without Bonjour. His question is whether the absence of Bonjour will affect your technical advice that you shared earlier.

I think that they are quite aware of the consequences of not installing Bonjour, but are choosing to accept those consequences.

• 8. Re: After Upgrade...How to RESET IIS?
                        photowyzard

The result is that FileMaker Server does not appear in the Local Hosts list in the Open Remote dialog box of FileMaker Pro clients, or in the File Browser of FileMaker Go client.

In other words without Bonjour, then neither local nor remote users will see the server broadcasting; however, users can still connect to FileMaker Server by specifying an IP address or hostname. The server's public I.P. address may also be added as a "Favorite Host" in the open remote dialog.

16000 is used for the FileMaker Server 13 Admin Console. Port 5003 is used for FileMaker Network Sharing and will need to be open on all machines using FileMaker Pro.

==================================================== from your post above================

Yes, what you state above is correct.  We (meaning IT)  have chosen NOT to use Bonjour. 

What we do is create the link via "Favorite Host".

IT sets up an AD for the User so that once they are given an ID and Password in Security, they do not have to log into the module each time once this is all set up.

IT is pushing responsibilities down, hence my request for more information.

We are doing the Server Upgrade and IIS has to be reset.  Once we do the Binding, we should be good to go, that is my question.  I am trying to make sure there is no loose end I may have missed.  This would appear to be so ... ?

• 9. Re: After Upgrade...How to RESET IIS?

Art:

Thank you for the reply.

Nothing changes about the recommendation whether Bonjour is installed or not. 

IIS does not need to be preconfigured. FileMaker Server 13 configures the Web Server during the installation, and will prompt to disable any existing web sites on port 80 and 443.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: After Upgrade...How to RESET IIS?
                            photowyzard

OK, thanks for the information, greatly appreciated.