6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2011 4:50 PM by DarlaJohnson

Aligning object on a layout

DarlaJohnson

Title

Aligning object on a layout

Your post

Hi,

I'm new to FM 11 Pro.  How to I align objects so that they look like an Excel spreadsheet?  IE, on top of each other and next to each other.

Thanks so much!

Darla

• 1. Re: Aligning object on a layout
          TSDuck

Hi Darla Johnson:

Thanks for posting.

FileMaker Pro 11 already has a layout view called table view which is set up like an excel spreadsheet.  This view places your fields in columns and each record is its own row.  Table view will automatically add in the fields you create from manage database.  You can reach table view with the following steps.  With your database open, click on the view menu at the top.  One of the options should be View as Table.  Select this option and your layout will turn into a spreadsheet view of your data.  Records and fields can be added while in table view, along with easy access to various reporting functions.

TSDuck

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Aligning object on a layout
            DarlaJohnson

Hi,

Sorry, the reply doesn't answer my questions.

#1.  Can I develop on a PC platform and push the database to a server and have iPad users access via Filemaker Go OR do I have to develop on a Mac desktop for iPad users to access the database.

#2.  Alignment question.  I understand layout view.  What I'm asking is let's say I'm adding an address block and I want the fields to align such that the first line is Name, second line is address 1, third line is City, State and Zip.  Is there a way to quickly select the entire block and have then name text box align next to the name lable.  The Address1 label and text box align to the bottom of the name label and name text box.

I've been going into inspector and manually setting the top of the second line to the bottom position of the top line.

Thanks,

Darla

• 3. Re: Aligning object on a layout
              TSDuck

Darla Johnson:

FileMaker Pro 11 is compatible with both Macintosh and PC.  A FileMaker database can be created and hosted from a PC, and iPad users would be able to access the database.  The opposite is also true, where a database can be hosted from Macintosh and accessed by a PC. 

The alignment tools in the inspector, found under the position tab, allow you to select multiple fields and labels and quickly align them all along the same edge.  In your database, you could select the name field and name label, then use the option align top edges in the inspector to line the fields up horizontally.  If your name, address, and city fields are underneath each other, you could select them all and use align left edges to line them up vertically.  FileMaker allows you to select multiple fields and align them one edge at a time.  Currently there is no alignment option or tool that would quickly line up fields along multiple edges that are placed on different lines.  You will need to continue aligning one edge at a time.  The arrow keys can also be used to quickly move fields and labels by one pixel when lining up your fields.  Let me know if this is helpful.

TSDuck

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Aligning object on a layout
                DarlaJohnson

Thank you.  In Access you can select an entire address block and aline the entire group in one click.  Hopefully, FileMaker can add this feature.  It's so time consuming aligning one object at a time. 

Thanks for your response.  It does answer my question.

Darla

• 5. Re: Aligning object on a layout
                  philmodjunk

You can also use these tools to distribute the space between the selected fields evenly. If you then drag handles down to resize a field to remove the space between it and the next field, you can resize all selected fields to the height of the tallest object--which will be the one you just resized--to remove the visible space between all the fields.

Not a perfect fix, but if your fields are fairly close to each other to start with, it may work. (Personally, I've always preferred to have a little space between such a field arrangement, but that's just my personal preference here...

• 6. Re: Aligning object on a layout
                    DarlaJohnson

Thank You.

Darla