3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2009 12:24 PM by dradavies

Attachments using FM Server 10

dradavies

Title

Attachments using FM Server 10

Your post

I wonder if anyone can offer some help or advice. We have been using FM Pro for a couple of years for a college student records database. We've shared the file using Dropbox between two staff members, and that has worked well though been a bit risky. We now need to share the database between five different people. I tried IWP but that wouldn't let me do a couple of the things I really needed so just purchased and installed FM Server 10, which is working great in terms of sharing ... but won't let me do one really essential function, and that is to attach a layout to an email as a PDF. We have all kinds of different layouts such as transcripts and offer letters which, using FM Pro, we'd just write scripts for to 'mailmerge' with the student data, save it as PDFs, and then generate individual emails to the students. I would not have dreamt for moment that FM Server could not generate PDFs in this way as seems to be the case. This really makes the system unusable for us. Does anyone have any ideas as to how we might get round this? Any plugins or the like? My scripting ability is minimal and I have no PHP knowledge, so if anyone can talk me through it I'd be very grateful indeed.

Thanks,

Andrew Davies 

• 1. Re: Attachments using FM Server 10
          RitcheM
             You can save/print the layout with the data as PDF and attached it to your email.  The following script steps, "Save Records as PDF" and "Send Email", will be helpful to you.
          • 2. Re: Attachments using FM Server 10
            philmodjunk

You may have to do this from a client (filemaker pro) session connected to your server rather than the server. Why do you need to do this from the server?

• 3. Re: Attachments using FM Server 10
              dradavies
                 Thanks very much for the help guys. I was doing what Ritche suggested, but it wasn't working, and when I looked into this I assumed it was because Server doesn't permit generation of PDFs by scripting (which information I found somewhere on Filemaker's website, I think). It emerges that the problem was to do with the location of the PDFs; the newly-generated emails were unable to find the PDF to attach. When I specified the locations for both the PDF to be saved and the email to look for its attachment, the problem was resolved right away. So all seems now to be sorted, thanks very much. I appreciate the prompting which helped solve the issue very much!