5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2014 10:50 AM by TSGal

auto logout options for databases

alternapop

Title

auto logout options for databases

Your post

What are the various auto logout options for databases?

Under FMP 13 Server console > Web Publishing > FileMaker WebDirect... I see that a 'session timeout' can be set.

How is auto logoff of databases controlled that are opened with FMP Client?   Is that a per database setting configured within the database?  Is there a way to control this system-wide?

• 1. Re: auto logout options for databases
          TSGal

alternapop:

Thank you for your post.

In Admin Console, if you select "Database Server" in the left pane, and then "FileMaker Clients" tab, you will see an option for "Set maximum idle time allowed for FileMaker clients (minutes)".  As you can see in the screen shot below, it is set for 720 minutes.  Adjust this value to what works best for you.  For instance, if you want to automatically log off any client who has been idle for 60 minutes, then change the value to 60.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: auto logout options for databases
            alternapop

Thanks for pointing this out.  Not sure how I missed that.

I don't develop fmp databases but just administer the server.   I'm guessing that fmp database admins can edit the timeout within a database too using fmreauthenticate.    Can they override the timeout time to be longer than the server's setting that you pointed out?

If a database is going to have some sort of sensitive data, what would be the best way to restrict that database and not have other less restrictive database users be annoyed?    Set the server timeout to something reasonable and the database itself to something restrictive using its own security settings?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: auto logout options for databases
              TSGal

alternapop:

fmreauthenticate is for FileMaker Go users over the wireless network.  The default is fmreauthenticate10, which means the database will still stay connected if idle within 10 minutes.  After 10 minutes, FileMaker Go will have to relogin to the hosted database.  You can change fmreauthenticate to a larger number of minutes, but it will not override the server setting, as the server will disconnect the user after the time you set.

If the database is going to have sensitive data, then in FileMaker Pro, you can create security settings to allow some user groups to only see specific information.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: auto logout options for databases
                alternapop

Hi, thanks for your reply.   I understand that security settings can be set for who can see and do what within a database but my question is regarding timing out.   If a user authenticates (fmp desktop client, web, etc) and walks away, I'm interested in what all options are available for auto logging out so that another person can't walk up to an abandoned session a short time later and start poking around.

Under FMP 13 Server console > Web Publishing > FileMaker WebDirect - session timeout

Under FMP 13 Server console > Database Server > Filemaker Clients - idle timeout

fmreauthenticate - for FM Go sessions only

Is there anything else?   If we want a more generous timeout for the general server setting but a more restrictive setting for a specific database, how do we do that for sessions that aren't using FM Go?

Thanks!

• 5. Re: auto logout options for databases
                  TSGal

alternapop:

Those settings are correct.

In the database file, you can set the access privilege to "Disconnect user from server when idle".  Therefore, if the user for that access privilege will be disconnected from the server after "x" amount of time, which is set in FileMaker Server.  If this is unchecked, then the user can remain logged in indefinitely.  If you want two different timeouts, this is not something built into FileMaker.  One possible option would be to log the last activity into a table, and then have a Server schedule check the value in that field and see if "x" minutes have transpired.  Another option would be to create a server side script that evaluates the user log for activity.  Both options would be a lot of overhead.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.