2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2010 1:01 PM by philmodjunk

Backing up to iDisk (MobileMe) from Filemaker Server 11 hosted database

StephenJones

Title

Backing up to iDisk (MobileMe) from Filemaker Server 11 hosted database

Your post

Dear All,

I have until now been running a database using Filemaker Pro Advanced 11, sharing it between various machines using iDisk.  Problems with iDisk synchronising led me to install Filemaker Server 11 instead (standard, not advanced).  I now keep the database on my work computer but tend to access it from home or from my laptop when I'm out and about.

Sometimes, however, I need to be able to access files when I'm off-line (poor internet access etc).  Ideally, I would like to continue backing-up to my iDisk every night so that there is a reasonably up-to-date copy of the database available on each of my computers.  (I have Macs, so iDisk saves a local copy for off-line access using iDisk Sync.)

However, when I try to persuade the Filemaker Server 11 (which is also a Mac and also has a local copy of iDisk on its desktop) to back-up to iDisk, it just says "invalid path".  

Does anyone know:

(a) whether it's possible to back-up to iDisk (either the local copy or directly onto the "cloud" copy itself);

(b) if so, what the file path would be for doing so? (I've tried using the path which comes up under "get info" and that didn't work.

Many thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Backing up to iDisk (MobileMe) from Filemaker Server 11 hosted database
          StephenJones

Oh, and I suppose I should mention the other two methods I had thought of to see if those are possible:

1.  "Save a copy" of the database to iDisk each time I finish using it.  (I have tried doing this but the "Save a Copy" option in the file menu is greyed out and the script command doesn't work either.  I assume it has something to do with the privileges I have set myself - is it possible to "turn on" the option of clients saving a copy of the database locally?  It's only me who uses the database, so there are no security issues here.)

2. Set Filemaker up to back up to each of my computers each night, an hour apart, say.

• 2. Re: Backing up to iDisk (MobileMe) from Filemaker Server 11 hosted database
            philmodjunk

FileMaker Server does not allow a scheduled back up to write to an external drive--so this is what's keeping that approach from working for you. We routinely send back up data to a different computer on our network by using a system script to copy the locally backed up files on the server to a shared directory elsewhere on the network. We use windows, so you'll need to find mac equivalents, but I used a VBScript that is controlled via Windows Task Scheduler to start up 30 minutes after the scheduled back up.