6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2014 3:09 AM by NickLawrence

Basic question

NickLawrence

Title

Basic question

Your post

Hi all,

I've just installed FileMaker Server 13 but am unable to access the file that is open on anything. I've tried speaking to the tech people at FM without success, I can't even see the server on some machines, even though I can access the file directly (tells me the file is open and needs to be open via the remote open) but when I open the remote nothing is shown in the local hosts left hand pane, and when I enter (what I believe to be) the address it says it can't find the server or file.

Any help greatly appreciated even to find out what the correct path would be helpful.

Many thanks

Nick

• 1. Re: Basic question
          Tsongming

First, I need more information.

With all due respect your description is somewhat vague.

So you installed FileMaker Server 13 on a supported machine...right?

Please provide :

•           The Operating System used and the version of FileMaker Server 13 for example:  FMS_13.0v4
          •      
          •           Did you read the Getting Started manual and follow the instructions?
          •      
          •           Did you open the required ports: Anti-virus programs and firewalls can block most or all of the communication to and from a computer.
          •      
          •           When you attempt to access via "Open Remote" from FileMaker Pro client, are you set to the local host?
          •      
          •           If you are on a Network where computers can see each other and can access common printers then you should be able to see the FileMaker Server IP address.
          •      
          •           If you can not see the address then you have ports that are blocked or there is a port conflict such as another program using port 5003.
          •      
          •           Are you sure the FMS processes are running?

FileMaker Server installs a server sample file.

If you can see the IP address and can only access the server sample file; the issue is with the extended privileges: ( not turned on)

I hope this helps

• 2. Re: Basic question
            Markus Schneider

And: How did You install the FileMaker files on FileMaker server?

- using a client's upload functionality

- copy

• 3. Re: Basic question
              NickLawrence

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the vagueness of the post, I will add additional information:

So you installed FileMaker Server 13 on a supported machine...right? It was installed on a new server machine we purchased specifically to host FM Server 13;

The Operating System used: MS Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

FileMaker Server 13 version:  FileMaker Server 13 version 13.0v2 x64

Did you read the Getting Started manual and follow the instructions? Yes, though it was more for setting up FMPro 13 with Server 13 and we have FMPro 12;

Did you open the required ports: No, so checking on this one;

When you attempt to access via "Open Remote" from FileMaker Pro client, are you set to the local host? Yes

If you are on a Network where computers can see each other and can access common printers then you should be able to see the FileMaker Server IP address: Correct I should, but can't on one machine but can on the other, even though both machines can access the computer outside of FMPro;

If you can not see the address then you have ports that are blocked or there is a port conflict such as another program using port 5003; Need to check this, checking to see if anything is using this port;

Are you sure the FMS processes are running? If you mean the databases are open then yes;

If you can see the IP address and can only access the server sample file; the issue is with the extended privileges: The sample file won't run either;

How did You install the FileMaker files on FileMaker server? Copied them to the same directory as the sample database, then opened them in server.

Hope this helps and many thanks for all your help.

Regards

Nick

• 4. Re: Basic question
                Markus Schneider

although on Win this should not be the problem: Use the upload function of FileMaker Pro to install database-files. If there are errors, You'll get them maybe better..

Does the account (security tab in FileMaker 'manage') has fmapp rights?

• 5. Re: Basic question
                  Tsongming

(Did you read the Getting Started manual and follow the instructions? Yes, though it was more for setting up FMPro 13 with Server 13 and we have FMPro 12)

So I am now confused, this FileMaker Server 13 ?  ...right?  ..If so The getting started guide is specifically about FileMaker Server and not FM Pro... you will need to browse through it..did you miss any steps?

If it is FMS "Server 13" and you copied files to the FileMakerServer/Data/Databases directory then I have another question...is this a Mac or Windows?

If it is a Mac you will need to either upload to FMS from the client (FM pro 13) or manually add fmsadmin and fmserver permissions to the files or folders ( apply to enclosed)

If it is windows : are the file types ( .fmp12?)   these are files created with either FileMaker Pro 12 or 13?  if yes then focus on ports.

Additionally If it is windows : did you bind 80, 443,16000, to the FMwebsite within the IIS manager?

Have you restarted the machine?

Have you opened all of the ports required as stated in the Getting Started Guide?

Have you checked the account privilege settings : is it set to all users while testing?

Checkout this link for more specific instruction:    http://www.filemaker.com/help/13/fmp/en/html/sharing_data.16.1.html#1029496

• 6. Re: Basic question
                    NickLawrence

Hi all,

Many thanks for all your help, it was the firewall blocking port 5003 it is now working.

I'm sure I'll be back with more vague questions but for now many thanks

Regards

Nick