4 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2010 5:59 AM by dfhage

Best Mac OS for hosting FM Server Advanced

Bucko

Title

Best Mac OS for hosting FM Server Advanced

Your post

I am about to purchase a new computer to permit our upgrade to FMSA 11 (we are currently runnig FMSA 9 on Windows XP).

I'd like to move to Mac OS for the Server but am not sure whether to go for a standard Mac OS or the new Mac Mini Server with Snow Leopard Server.

How would each of these choices influence FMSA and ease of setup / maintenance? Perhaps I should stick to Windows and move to Vista or 7 (I'd still need to buy a new machine).

I am grateful for your advice

• 1. Re: Best Mac OS for hosting FM Server Advanced
          TSGal

Bucko:

Thank you for your post.

Since FileMaker Server 11 Advanced does not work on Windows XP, you may want to look at the system requirements listed at:

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-server/server-11-specifications.html

We have FileMaker Server 11 Advanced running on Windows 2003, Windows 2008 (Dell machines), Mac OS X 10.5.8 (iMac) and Mac OS X 10.6.3 (Mac Mini).  I spend most of my time with the Mac Mini because it is simply closest to me.

Anybody else have information for this user?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Best Mac OS for hosting FM Server Advanced
            dfhage

TSGal,

I am having issues installing a trial of Filemaker 11 Server Advance on a Mac Mini Server 10.6.3 , did you come across any glitches?

Regards

Dave Hage

• 3. Re: Best Mac OS for hosting FM Server Advanced
              thomasfilemaker

If you decide to go with a Mac Mini with Mac OS Server, you will need to get a  faster internal hard drive inside the machine, as it has very slow laptop drives: Dual 500GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard disk drives.  I bought the Mac Mini to see how it would work as a Media Server with Mac OS Server software, but decided not to use it as the server, but rather a client, and instead bought a new Mac 8-core with 16TB Gigabit Speed External device for external storage, works much better. It has two gigabit ethernet ports as well as optical interface.

If your database does not require much of a client load, it may not matter, though, depending what your demands are on your server system.  I wished they had put two gigabit ethernet ports on the Mac Mini, it would have made a much better server device, the way it is configured now, is you are restricted to USB 2.0 throughput for external data access/storage.

• 4. Re: Best Mac OS for hosting FM Server Advanced
                dfhage

Thanks for you reply, our Filemaker requirements are pretty low, I think I would probably ignore the internal drives and host the database on a external Firewire 800 Raid. Mind you it's a bit of a moot point at the moment as I can't get anything to install!

Regards

Dave Hage