5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2009 5:40 PM by RossHurley

Best Practices for Sleep and Restart

RossHurley

Title

Best Practices for Sleep and Restart

Your post

Hi all,

I'm using FMS10 on a MacBook Pro for testing purposes, and clients will use FMS10 on Windows in a business environment. What does FMS do when the computer is restarted, with no guests connected? Does FMS close all files gracefully before the computer shuts down, or should they be closed manually first? What does it do if guests are connected? In my own case with the MacBook Pro, does the same apply to putting the computer to sleep?

Thanks in advance.

Ross Hurley 

• 1. Re: Best Practices for Sleep and Restart
          mrvodka

Best practices state that you should close all of your files first before stopping the server or rebooting. It is the safest way to avoid possible corruption.

I am not sure about sleep mode though.

• 2. Re: Best Practices for Sleep and Restart
            jbarnum

Ross, I have FMS installed on my laptop for demo and development purposes, and in my experience, as far as connecting with FileMaker Pro, FMS works just fine with sleeping and waking. FileMaker can re-connect to it as a client with no problem.

HOWEVER, FMS Admin is a different story - always be sure to STOP FileMaker Server and QUIT FMS Admin before putting the computer to sleep. If you have FMS Admin or FileMaker Server running when you sleep, then when you wake up, you will not be able to administer FMS until you completely restart the computer. This is on OS X 10.5, Windows may be a different story.

• 3. Re: Best Practices for Sleep and Restart
              RossHurley

Thanks Jesse, but you've confused me. On the one hand you say FMS is fine with sleeping and waking, and on the other you say FMS must be stopped before putting the computer to sleep. Under what circumstances is FMS fine with sleeping and waking?

Thanks,

Ross Hurley 

• 4. Re: Best Practices for Sleep and Restart
                jbarnum

Sorry Ross, I could have phrased that better. Here it is in a nutshell:

Always stop FileMaker Server and quit FMS Admin before putting the computer to sleep.

If you don't do this, FMS Admin will very often not be able to reconnect to FileMaker Server after you wake it. However, FileMaker client will still be able to connect OK, even though FMS Admin can't.

• 5. Re: Best Practices for Sleep and Restart
                  RossHurley

Thanks Jesse, that's good information to have about FMS Admin. I asked this forum this question because I couldn't find out anything in FMS Getting Started, Help, or the Knowledge Base. Other things I can't find out are: does FMS10 gracefully close files before you stop FMS, and if you shut down the computer running FMS10, do the Mac and Windows OSs cause FMS to close properly first. I recall that FMS8 did this (although some OSs were unreliable, eg XP) and that this information was readily available. I'd like to know what FMS10 does in these circumstances. Do you know if this info is available - have I missed the source?

Ross