2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2011 10:54 AM by TSGal

BROKEN - FMSA10 admin console / Java update / now what?

gsainc

Title

BROKEN - FMSA10 admin console / Java update / now what?

Your post

Ok, so we all know that the latest Java update breaks the Filemaker Server 10 Admin Console. Also am I correct to understand that short of an entire OS reinstall I cannot get back to a working Java version under Mac/Snow Leopard?

Not only this but I have read the 'HELP' documentation and this post:

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/850dfe5627

Which both say that we cannot command line start and stop the web publishing aspect of FMSA10. So now I am left with the following issue. Every saturday our server shuts down for one hour and reboots. Upon reboot all server functions start up including FMSA10. For the past five weeks the web publishing aspect of FMSA10 has not restarted successfully and I have to go into the Admin Console and then click on the stop web publishing then click start web publishing. This is an issue because I have had to leave work to borrow a friends old(not updated computer), bring it into our LAN and run the admin console from there because all of the computers in out office have been updated to the new Java version that breaks the admin console. I have asked that my friend does not update his machine but that i sort of absurd. We need a fix here. Our business suffers because this software has become broken. It would be ok if there were even just a command line to start and stop the web publishing but as it is we are potentially looking at FMSA10 becoming unusable.

Please correct me if there is a fix for this that I simply have not found.

• 1. Re: BROKEN - FMSA10 admin console / Java update / now what?
          gsainc

I am writing again about this same issue. My server restarted over the weekend as it is scheduled to do and now I am left with a non-working system because FMSA10 web component failed to restart when the rest of the server restarted. I cannot use the admin console because of the java update problem. I cannot command line restart the web component of FMSA10 because this command does not exist. I am left with broken software. Filemaker Server Advanced 10 does not work. No one has even replied to this post suggesting that Filemaker is at least considering how to resolve this problem.

I guess this issue is two fold. Filemaker server admin console requires Java and the latest update of Java is not working with Filemaker Admin Console. Thus we have no method of restarting or configuring FMSA10 now.

Secondly, the web component of FMSA10 does not ever start correctly when FMSA10 is launched and always requires the defunct admin console to get it going.

A fix to either of these issues would be helpful.

A fix to the first issue is absolutely expected and there is no situation that justifies Filemaker's refusal to get this working again. This whole problem, as I understand it is due to a single file within the Java system being moved. This should be a simple thing to change in the admin console programing. reassign the correct path to the needed file, recompile, release for download. Done.

• 2. Re: BROKEN - FMSA10 admin console / Java update / now what?
            TSGal

All:

Java 6 Update 26 Mac OS X is now available.  From the Apple menu, select "Software Update...".  It will be listed as "Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 5".  This corrects the problem of the Admin Console not working with FileMaker Server 10.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.