9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2009 11:29 AM by rmanook

Can filemaker 10 server use ODBC ?

ERIKCHAN

Title

Can filemaker 10 server use ODBC ?

Your post

I want to know can filemaker 10 server use ODBC to connect mysql database?

• 1. Re: Can filemaker 10 server use ODBC ?
          rmanook

Hi Erik Chan,

Thanks for posting.

Are you planning on connecting to your MySQL database for import/export purposes or do you want to create a live connection between the two?

For importing/exporting purposes, ODBC is only available with FileMaker Server 10 Advanced. 

However, FileMaker has another feature called ESS or External SQL Source connectivity which allows you to create a live relationship between FileMaker and MySQL.  That is, you can add a MySQL database into FileMaker and modify/add/edit/etc. the MySQL data.

A great place to start getting familiar with ESS and FIleMaker would be here:

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-pro/sql-data.html

Thanks,

tsturtle

FileMaker, inc. 

• 2. Re: Can filemaker 10 server use ODBC ?
            ERIKCHAN

Thanks for your reply.

I need to migrate a mysql database to filemaker

Can ESS or External SQL Source connectivity do it?

I am using filemaker pro 9 now.

ESS or External SQL Source connectivity can use for filemaker pro 9 or not?

THANKS~

• 3. Re: Can filemaker 10 server use ODBC ?
              ERIKCHAN

One more question

I want to know can I use php to connect filemaker 10 server directly?

• 4. Re: Can filemaker 10 server use ODBC ?
                rmanook

Hey Erik -

Yes it can.  (sorry, I went for the presidential response on that one :smileyhappy: )

FileMaker 9 introduced ESS capability.  FileMaker Pro 9 is included in this category and allows you to connect to a MySQL database local or remote.

Again, in terms of 'migrating,' if you mean you simply want the MySQL data into FileMaker and then no longer use MySQL an ODBC connection would be more beneficial.  If you mean adding the MySQL table to your database in a live connection and continue to modify it in FileMaker, I would use ESS.

Thanks,

tsturtle

FileMaker, inc. 

• 5. Re: Can filemaker 10 server use ODBC ?
                  ERIKCHAN

Thanks for your reply ^^

That's mean I can use ESS to migrate mysql database to filemaker either pro 9 or server 10 ?

I need to develop a online application form. Then all data need to insert to filemaker database. 

Do I need to use filemaker server only? Could I use filemaker pro 9 to do it?

• 6. Re: Can filemaker 10 server use ODBC ?
                    rmanook

Hey Erik -

If you want to create an online application form you have two methods to do so.   FileMaker allows the user to publish their database using either Instant Web Publishing (the website is created for you/no coding required but with limited design customization capability) or Custom Web Publishing (the user creates a website using FileMaker's API for PHP, their own PHP, XML, or XSLT).  Once the database is published over the web, any changes/editing/modification of the data is immediately displayed in the hosted database; it's the same as if a customer accessed the database through a FileMaker Pro application and made the change.  That is, you will not need an extra step of getting any changes made from web users to reflect in the hosted database.

How many people you estimate accessing your database plus how much control you want over the design of the website will factor into the discussion of Pro vs. Server.

A good place to start getting familiar with Instant vs. Custom Web Publishing is here: 

http://www.filemaker.com/products/fms/resource_center.html

Thanks,

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: Can filemaker 10 server use ODBC ?
                      ERIKCHAN

Thanks for your reply.

Are you mean that I can use my filemaker pro 9 and ESS to migrate mysql database to filemaker pro 9 ?

And I can use  PHP API and Custom Web Publishing doing my online form?

• 8. Re: Can filemaker 10 server use ODBC ?
                        ERIKCHAN

I can use PHP API to connect filemaker pro 9.

Or I need to upgrade filemaker pro 9 to filemaker server version? 

• 9. Re: Can filemaker 10 server use ODBC ?
                          rmanook

Hey Erik--

In order to use PHP to create an online site you will need FileMaker Server for the hosting and a copy of Pro or Pro Advanced to build the database.

Again, this link would be a great start to getting familiar with these features:

http://www.filemaker.com/products/fms/resource_center.html

Also, if you haven't already, try downloading the FileMaker Server 10 trial.  This is a free 30 day trial software that includes the ability to create and view Custom Web Publishing pages (and you can use the PHP Site Assistant, too).

Here is the link to request a FileMaker Server 10 trial:

http://www.filemakertrial.com/servertrial/form/entry.aspx

Thanks!

tsturtle

FileMaker, inc