3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2014 10:53 AM by disabled_ntaylor

Can I have FMS web server and Mac Server both serving web pages?

PhilipJones

Title

Can I have FMS web server and Mac Server both serving web pages?

Your post

I am running a Mac Mini FMS 13/OS X Server on a static IP. I seem to be unable to serve up "regular" web pages (unrelated to FMS, say, a WordPress blog) AND FMS web direct at the same time. If I enable apache under the Server configuration page, my FM setup malfunctions (404 error), and vice-versa.

Am I missing something simple? I'm pretty sure these two things are supposed to co-exist?

Where should my "regular" web pages be located if I am using FMS's Apache instead of OS X's apache?

Thanks for any assistance!

Phil

• 1. Re: Can I have FMS web server and Mac Server both serving web pages?

Philip Jones:

Thank you for the post.

Please review the following article, KB13297:

Understanding the system requirements for FileMaker Server 13

Note the explanation under "Why the FileMaker Server installer creates its own instance of a web server:"

"Using reverse port forwarding requires that the built-in web servers for OS X (Apache) and Windows (IIS) DO NOT have existing websites that are using ports 80 and 443."

FileMaker Inc. recommends running FileMaker Server on a dedicated machine intended for use only as a FileMaker Server. 

Lastly, see page 25 of the FileMaker Server 13 Custom Web Publishing with PHP guide for the directory path FileMaker Server 13 loads web pages. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Can I have FMS web server and Mac Server both serving web pages?
            PhilipJones

Thank you for the response, although this seems like a pretty steep limitation to the product, and one which is technically surmountable.

In any case, I have turned off websites in the Mac Server configuration. I then run FMS configuration and everything is OK. Problem is, however, that every time I reboot my server, FMS websites are no longer functional, and I get the error message "Websites are turned off. An administrator can turn them on using the Server application". I thought websites were supposed to be OFF in the Mac Server application, and that FMS would handle things with its own web server?

Any help appreciated.

• 3. Re: Can I have FMS web server and Mac Server both serving web pages?

Philip Jones:

Thank you for the reply.

Do the FileMaker Server Web Publishing test pages work?

From the FileMaker Server 13 Admin Console click "Server" > "Open Test Page…" in the top right.

Click "Test FileMaker WebDirect" and does the WebDirect test page load?

Click "Test PHP Custom Web Publishing" and does the test PHP page load?

As a test, if you uninstall the Mac OS X Server.app, then do you still receive the error message?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.