9 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2011 9:32 AM by Infectiologue

can't access database with filemaker server

AdrianLing

Title

can't access database with filemaker server

Your post

I have FMP server 11 installed on my Mac mini (not mac mini server). This has a static IP address assigned, however when I open filemaker pro from my macbook pro, and 'open remote', I type in this IP address and it does not show any databases.

Any suggestions? 

• 1. Re: can't access database with filemaker server

Adrian Ling:

Thanks for posting!

Are you attempting to access on the same network as the server?

Do any other machines experience this issue?

To confirm, you're currently using FileMaker Server 11, correct? What version of FileMaker Pro are you using to access?

Did you add this host as a favorite host?

TSBear
          FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: can't access database with filemaker server
            AdrianLing
            Hi tsb Yes I am trying to access on the sane network as the server and once it is running I will access it remotely from other networks. I have tried from my iMac as well as MacBook pro. I am using FMP 11 and FMS 11. I added my IP address in 'add favorites' but this doesn't register my databases.
            • 3. Re: can't access database with filemaker server
              AdrianLing

I have a Billion 7404 VNPX router. I have looked up 'whatismyipaddress' and have entered this in correctly. II am pretty sure port 5003 is open for forwarding. I can actually access the file when it is using the IP address for my local network ie 192.168 etc, but when I enter the IP address that I obtained from 'whatis my IP address' it doesn't bring up any files. I have uploaded the file onto the mac mini using the filemaker server interface. 

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

• 4. Re: can't access database with filemaker server

Adrian Ling:

It sounds like it's still being blocked somewhere. Since you're able to connect internally, I highly recommend taking another look at the router. To confirm that it's the router causing the issue, open the Network Utility application from /Applications/Utilities and choose the port scan tab. In there, you'll want to enter the IP address you got from 'what is my ip address' and opt to test the ports between 5003 and 5003. A successful connection will be indicated by the following result:

Open TCP Port: 5003

TSBear
                FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: can't access database with filemaker server
                  AdrianLing

TSBear

I performed the port scan function as you instructed, but it only says 'port scan completed'. My router is a Billion 7404 VNPX. Does that mean the port is not open? I've gone into the router and selected virtual server, then port forwarding. I've set up a new port forward with TCP/UDP protocol, external port 5003-5003, redirect port 5003-5003, redirecting it to my internal IP address for my mac mini, using an ipwan interface. 

• 6. Re: can't access database with filemaker server

Adrian Ling:

That result does indicate that port 5003 is closed. Since you've forwarded the port and you're able to access it from inside the network but not outside, you may want to give the router manufacturer a call. Perhaps they can shed a bit more light on this issue.

TSBear
                    FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: can't access database with filemaker server
                      AdrianLing
                      Addition I contacted my router helpdesk and they said that if the firewall and intrusion detectors are off then it would be a software firewall. Are you aware of any firewalls in filemaker pro server?
                      • 8. Re: can't access database with filemaker server

Adrian Ling:

Since you're able to access inside of the network, I don't believe it's a software firewall. Would connections from outside the network travel through any routers beside the one you referred to earlier?

TSBear
                        FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: can't access database with filemaker server
                          Infectiologue

Very similar problem for me. 

Set up is a fresh MacMiniServer doing only FMP Server 11 (Advanced). Wired on a University LAN. 

My laptop (Mac) and two Windows machines see the local host; I can access files without difficulty. 

Someone on the same LAN (but about a block away) running Windows FMP 9 can't see the host, and doesn't get through typing the (dynamic but not changing since the server is steady). Able to access through IWP. 

My iPhone has FM Go; very similar problem, host does not show up. When I use the IP address it says no files available. 

Just unplugged the laptop, using WiFi I can't see the server either. But if I call up recent files (on the same server), I get linked in right away! (This would argue against port blocking by the routers). 

Hoping someone can help,

Mark