1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2014 9:09 AM by disabled_ntaylor

Can't access solution outside my network

user14040

Title

Can't access solution outside my network

Your post

I have not been able to open port 591 on my computer to access my solutions from a Web direct.  Port 5003 I can open and access from the IPad. But for some reason 591 will not open.

i am able to access web direct from within my network but when I try to access web direct from browser outside my network it says not found.

is there another port I can try to open that I can access web direct from?

i have FM Server 13 & FM Pro 13 advance running on one machine don't know if that makes a difference. 

thanks

larry

• 1. Re: Can't access solution outside my network

Larry Williams:

Thank you for the post.

Please review the following knowledge base article:

Ports used by FileMaker Server 13

WebDirect uses ports 80 and 443. Those two ports will need to be forwarded to allow access outside the LAN. Additionally, remote clients will need to connect using the Public I.P. address of the FileMaker Server.

Additionally, here are some other useful resources:

FileMaker® 13WebDirect Guide

Port forwarding information

Please let me know if any of the above requires additional clarification. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Can't access solution outside my network
            RickWhitelaw

Your ISP likely doesn't provide a static public ip address but assigns the address via DHCP. Using a dynamic DNS service like that found at noip.com is almost always a necessity unless you do indeed have a static ip address.

• 3. Re: Can't access solution outside my network
              user14040

FM Server 13 is 192.168.1.119

Ports Opened are 80, 443 & 5003

I can not open 591 ( I am using no-ip.com service)

Web Server is 192.168.1.132 (Tried opening port 591 but it would not open)

Web Publishing Engine is 127.0.0.1

My frustration is getting pretty high, FM 11 was easier to access from the web not sure why I am having so much trouble.

I can access webdirect within my own network but I cant from outside.  FileMaker Go 13 can access my solutions so now I dont know what to do, I am sure I cant get a refund since Ive had FM 13 for awhile now.

Am I using the right web address?

http://IPADDRESS/fmi/webd/#  OR  http://IPADDRESS:PORT/fmi/webd/# (If port number is required which port to use i tried 80 & 443)

thanks

• 4. Re: Can't access solution outside my network

Larry Williams:

Thank you for the reply.

No port information needs to be specified. WebDirect can only deploy over port 80 and 443:

Understanding the system requirements for FileMaker Server 13

"I can access webdirect within my own network but I cant from outside."

What is the public I.P. address of the network?

http://www.whatismyip.com/

192.168.x.x is an internal I.P. address. Outside network access requires connecting via the public or external I.P. address. 

The correct address to externally access the WebDirect Start Page follows:

http://<SERVER PUBLIC I.P.>/fmi/webd#

On your network, locally on the server, without port forwarding the following (localhost I.P.) address can also be used:

http://192.168.1.119/fmi/wedb# or http://localhost/fmi/wedb#

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Can't access solution outside my network
                  user14040

public IP address is 76.124.140.167

• 6. Re: Can't access solution outside my network

Larry Williams:

Thank you for the reply.

The ports appear to be forwarded, and read as open when port scanned from this location; however, something else in the network is denying access to the Web Server.

A few more questions to further narrow this down:

1. What is the operating system of the FileMaker Server 13 host?

2. Is this FileMaker Server 13.0v2?

3. In a browser on the server what displays at the following URL:

http://localhost/

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Can't access solution outside my network
                      user14040

Thanks

1. Windows 8.1

2.  FM Server Version 13.2.295

3. blank page

• 8. Re: Can't access solution outside my network

Larry Williams:

Thank you for the post.

Windows 8.1 is a tested operating system for FileMaker Pro 13 (Advanced), but not a tested operating system for FileMaker Server 13.

System Requirements for FileMaker Server 13

While the installation may work, we cannot guarantee stability. Usually, a "blank window" on the http://localhost/ page indicates a problem with either Java or connecting to the Web Server.

First, try to reinstall the latest version of Java.

If FileMaker Server 13 successfully connected to the Web Server, then in a browser on the server http://localhost/ should display like the screenshot below.

Does the "Status" pane in the FileMaker Server 13 Admin Console display all green checkmarks for FileMaker Server 13, Web Server, and Web Publishing Engine?

Lastly, what browsers were tried?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Can't access solution outside my network
                          user14040

I installed the latest  version of Java

I used Internet explorer and chrome

All check marks are green

Filemaker Server 13 (green)

Web Server (green)

Web Publishing Engine (green)

ODBC/JDBC (green)

I just see a blank page on localhost

I hope there will be a fix soon since i got FM server 13 for Web Direct and now I cant use it.  I dont understand why it works on my local network and not from outside my network.

• 10. Re: Can't access solution outside my network
                            user14040

Well after updating Java on Windows 8.1 now I cant get to FM Server i am basically shutdown now.

the only thing i see now is a blank page on web direct on local network as well as outside my netwrok

• 11. Re: Can't access solution outside my network
                              user14040

FM Server 13 is still running but I cant see Admin Consolet using Chrome, Explorer , Firefox.

I am still able connect via FMgo13 within my network but now connecting outside my network is not working.

• 12. Re: Can't access solution outside my network

Larry Williams:

Thank you for the reply.

"I am still able connect via FMgo13 within my network but now connecting outside my network is not working."

I am able to connect with FileMaker Go 13.0v4 from this location, using your public I.P. address as a host. (See screenshot below).

I am unable to contact your Web Server via the public I.P. address without getting a "403 Forbidden" error message after being redirected to:

http://76.124.140.167/UI

The Web Server does not appear to be properly configured for Web Publishing and this would explain the "404 Not Found error" message when trying access the WebDirect Start Page here:

http://76.124.140.167/fmi/webd

In summary, FileMaker Server 13 is serving databases both internally and externally to other FileMaker Pro clients and FileMaker Go clients; however, the Web Server is not publishing and hence WebDirect and the Admin Console are failing to display.

Understanding the system requirements for FileMaker Server 13

"FileMaker Server requires a web server in all deployments" and without a properly configured Web Server, the only component that will work is the database server.

The official recommendation is to move the installation to a tested operating system. Otherwise, to continue troubleshooting the current environment, here are the suggested next steps:

1. Uninstall FileMaker Server 13.0v2 using Add/Remove programs.

2. Uninstall the following components:

a. IIS URL Rewrite Module
                                     b. Microsoft Application Request Routing
                                     c. Microsoft External Cache for IIS

d. Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable Package (x64) 

e. Microsoft Web Farm Framework

3. Remove the IIS role from Add/Remove Windows Features

4. Reinstall and redeploy FileMaker Server 13.0v2 with the full installer

Note: First backups databases, schedules, and groups.

Please let me know if any of the above requires further clarification. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Can't access solution outside my network
                                  user14040

Reinstalled FM Server I am able to see the admin console but I still can not connect with Filemaker Go 13.  If I can get that working again I will be happy.  Eventhough it would be nice to have web direct working too.

I removed newest Java and kept the Java that came with FileMaker, since I did not go offline until I installed the newest Java update, but it still does not let me connect with FM Go 13.

I turned off the following with no results as well

Plex

Air video HD

Air Server

I also have MYBOOKLIVE SERVER running as well as Transporter all running on the same computer.

localhost still shows a blank page

Filemaker admin console has all section with a green check doesnt that mean everything is working?

I am using Windows 8.1 but the requirements says Windows 8 Pro (I dont think a lot of companies use windows 8 pro so why test on pro, most large companies are just now using Windows 7 and the average user such as myself uses Windows 8.1)

• 14. Re: Can't access solution outside my network

Larry Williams:

Thank you for the reply.

"I still can not connect with Filemaker Go 13."

I am unable to replicate. To attempt to replicate, I performed the following steps:

1. Opened FileMaker Go 13.0v4 on an iPad 3 with iOS 7.1.2

2. Tapped on "Hosts" icon on the left side

3. Host Address: 76.124.140.167 > Tapped "Save"

Result: Two files are listed named "MASS_2014" and "TECOHIREINDO_frs" and before the FMServer_Sample file was also listed. 

Please let me know if I am missing a step to replicate.

TSFalcon
                                         FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next