9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2010 1:26 PM by kwins

Can't close databases.

V

Title

Can't close databases.

Your post

Good afternoon everyone,

I have FMS10A installed, w/ web publishing on a 2k3 server.

For some reason I cannot close, remove or upload databases.  I have a few that were uploaded during the install of the server, or perhaps immediately thereafter, but I've been trying to upload new ones to no avail.  

Lets start with the simplest (I hope), closing a database.

When I load the console and to go databases, I highlight a database, open the dropdown, select close and hit perform action.  And then.... nothing.  No flicker in the cursor/mouse, no errors, no nothing.  I am assuming that the remove database cannot be done because I cannot stop the database..... 

Next, uploading additional databases.  When I try to upload additional databases, a dialog box pops that reads 'checking file configuration' and then grinds for a minute or so.  THen I get the error:

"One or more of your destination folders does not have enough space for the specified upload or it does not exist."

Any ideas?

V

• 1. Re: Can't close databases.
          etripoli
             Maybe there's not enough free disk space on the server to close or add databases.  Try freeing up space by deleting temp files, and/or emptying the trash.  You might also be running out of disk space because of FileMaker database backups.
          • 2. Re: Can't close databases.
            V

There's 100G free on the disk and my account has admin privs, both locally and over the domain.  Anything else?

V

• 3. Re: Can't close databases.
              mrvodka
                 Are you using multiple drives? If so, what drive is the 100G free on?
              • 4. Re: Can't close databases.
                V

The entire system is installed on the C drive, and it is the C drive that has the 100G free... well, 97, but nonetheless.  Very frustrating.  I'm a rank n00b to FM, and I get handed the task of server consolidation.  Heh, guess there's a lot of confidence...

V

• 5. Re: Can't close databases.
                  V
                     Also, could this relate to the inability to close the databases?
                  • 6. Re: Can't close databases.
                    mrvodka

No but with a lot systems, people tend to put their applications on the C drive and their data files on another drive. FMS create large Tomcat log files that exist in a subdirectory of the FileMaker Server folder under Program Files. That is why I asked.

What Java version are you running? I know that FMS10 is compatible with the newer Java versions wherease FMS9 needed Java6 Update 7.

Try clearing your Java Cache.

I may try to downgrade your version of Java as test. ( under control panel Java )

If nothing works, then I may try a reinstall of server.

• 7. Re: Can't close databases.
                      mrvodka

One other thing that I think you should try to see if its a server things or an admin console thing ( my guess ).

Try some command lines to close your files and stop your server.

• 8. Re: Can't close databases.
                        kwins

I too am have the exact same issue.

Windows Vista bussiness

FMSA 10

Everything working fine till we moved the server to a new network. Physically took the computer to a new location.

It seems to possibly be a console issue, as i can open and close DB's with command line.

• 9. Re: Can't close databases.
                          kwins
                             HA, just resolved this issue for me, Updated to java 6 update 17, cleared temp jave files, and manually deleted temp files. working without a hitch now.