6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2015 9:20 AM by anothersmurf

Can't create a "Certificate Signing Request"

anothersmurf

Title

Can't create a "Certificate Signing Request"

Your post

I don't really understand all this certificate stuff but I'm trying to follow the steps anyway. Unfortunately I'm stuck on step 1 of this page: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14169

It says to create a "certificate signing request (CSR)". I open up the Terminal on my server (Mac OS 10.9.5, FMPS 13v5) and type in the "fmsadmin certificate create" command, with my domain name. The response is "Failed to generate the new certificate request file, Error: -1 [Internal error]"

Does anyone know what this means, or what I should do?

• 1. Re: Can't create a "Certificate Signing Request"
          wimdecorte

The folder where the request is created is typically locked down.  Try with "sudo fmsadmin certificate create..."

• 2. Re: Can't create a "Certificate Signing Request"
            WayneMuelver

Sorry to piggy back on your question here, but I have been looking for a long time for information on how to create a domain name for my server. All the FileMaker materials seem to just take this for granted. Could you share how you setup your domain?

By the way, I am working on the same error message with creating a certificate request, so I tried adding the sudo command recommended by Wim. I did not receive an error message this time and when I went to the CStore folder the files were there. Next I will try to use them and see how that goes but so far so good. Thanks.

• 3. Re: Can't create a "Certificate Signing Request"
              WayneMuelver

Ok, so I tried to use the certificate request at GeoTrust and I get an error message from their site that says:

QuickSSL Premium Enrollment

• Country code is not valid.
              •                     
              • Common Name is an IP address.
              •                

Of course there is no instructions on what that means or how to fix it. Not sure what to do next except wait for the sun to come up in California so I can call their customer support. sad

• 4. Re: Can't create a "Certificate Signing Request"
                WayneMuelver

I tried changing the name of the server at the end of the "sudo fmsadmin certificate create..." command to what the admin server says my host name is, and that didn't work either. However, the error message changed saying that the common name is not a fully qualified domain name. So, I did a search for what a fully qualified domain name is and came across a video where a guy is showing how to edit the system configuration file in terminal. When he was finished he showed how to check his work by entering "hostname" in terminal and it presented him with what he changed. So... I entered this command in terminal and I put the result at the end of the "sudo fmsadmin certificate create..." and viola! the second error is gone. Now, how do I solve this Country code issue?

• 5. Re: Can't create a "Certificate Signing Request"
                  wimdecorte

Follow this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvJ8ebpqo_Q&feature=youtu.be

and download the helper file that Claus Lavendt has put together.

• 6. Re: Can't create a "Certificate Signing Request"
                    anothersmurf

Wayne-- the FMS13_help.pdf shows how to create a certificate with a country value; that might be what you need. The example given is:

fmsadmin certificate create /CN=salesdbs.mycompany.com/C=US