11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2013 6:52 AM by JonJ

Can't launch Admin Console from desktop

mmccarty

Title

Can't launch Admin Console from desktop

Your post

I'm using FileMaker Server 12 on a Windows Server 2008 machine.

I can access the admin console from the server but I would like to be able to access it my office as well so that I don't have to go down to the server room for every little thing.

I go to http:// IP address:16000 and get the start page but when I click on "Start Admin Console" I get the error message "Unable to launch the application"

I tried updating JAVA to the latest version on my computer but no joy.  I didn't try updating JAVA on the server since I can access the admin console from that machine (also because sometimes JAVA updates makes things go screwy).  Also I can still open the FM 11 admin console on my desktop without problems so I don't think it is a JAVA issue (FM12 Server running on a new machine, FM11 still operating on old server machine until we are ready to convert).

When I first tried, http:// IP address:16000 wouldn't load.  I used the command window on the server and verified that port 16000 was listening but obviously there was some problem.  So,  I created a new inbound rule in my firewall for port 16000.  After that I could at least get to the start page.  Should I create another inbound rule for 16001?

Any ideas are appreciated

Thanks

• 1. Re: Can't launch Admin Console from desktop
          JonJ

You could try it, but I thought that Port 16001 was a client helper, not for the server console.

To recap, have you checked:

Windows Firewall on the FileMaker server is not blocking port 16000.

There's no other antivirus on either machine which could be blocking things.

Your office computer has a route to the server (for example, can you see the databases in FileMaker Pro, or the iWP site?)

Is the Java version on your office machine compatible with your browser (for example, Java 7 is 64 bit only, and will not work in Chrome, or other 32 bit browsers).

I suggest trying on a third computer, to try to determine which computer's to blame (the server or your computer)

J.

• 2. Re: Can't launch Admin Console from desktop
            mmccarty

Bear with me, I'm not a computer network person so these may be stupid questions:

I used the command window to check on port 16000.  It said that it was "listening".  Does that mean that it isn't being blocked by a firewall?  I thought so but even with port 16000 listening, the webpage http://ipaddress:16000 wouldn't load.  So I created new inbound and outbound rules in my firewall for port 16000.  After that the page loaded.  When I clicked on "start admin console"  (using Chrome) the java file downloaded and ran but then I get the "unable to launch application" error.  Since I could reach the page and download the file, doesn't that mean that firewalls are not the problem?

When I use Internet Explorer, there is no "start admin console" button.  Instead there is a button telling me to install JAVA  When I use Firefox, I click on the "start admin console".  The Java file downloads and runs but then I get "unable to launch" error

I have tried to open on Admin Console using my secretary's computer with the same result.  So I'm thinking that it is a server computer problem.  But recall that Admin Console works great on server computer.

• 3. Re: Can't launch Admin Console from desktop
              JonJ

Since I could reach the page and download the file, doesn't that mean that firewalls are not the problem?

I think so. If it's downloading admin_console_webstart.jnlp, then the server is probably fine.

If I could hazard a guess, it sounds like a Java6 (32bit) vs. Java7 (64bit) issue. What version of Java are you running? if you're using Chrome I guess it's Java6?

• 4. Re: Can't launch Admin Console from desktop
                mmccarty

My first troubleshoot was to check my version of JAVA.  I have the latest version 7 update 45

• 5. Re: Can't launch Admin Console from desktop
                  JonJ

Hmmmm... double-check that you have the 64bit versions of FireFox and/or iExplorer, as they are the only ones that could use Java7 (Chrome can't use it at all).

• 6. Re: Can't launch Admin Console from desktop
                    mmccarty

According to my control panel, I have 32 bit JAVA.  How could a 32 bit JAVA version 7 not work with a 32 bit browser?

I'm fairly certain I have 32 bit Firefox because last I heard Firefox was still working on its 64 bit version

• 7. Re: Can't launch Admin Console from desktop
                      mmccarty

On the Unable to Launch the Application error box, I clicked on details and got the following.  I don't speak JAVA so I don't know what it means but maybe someone out there in FileMaker land does speak JAVA and can interpret.

Error: Unexpected exception: java.lang.NullPointerException

Exception:

java.lang.NullPointerException
                               at com.filemaker.adminconsole.ui.clients.AdminConsoleJnlpLauncher$AdminConsoleStateListener.sessionError(AdminConsoleJnlpLauncher.java:286)
                               at com.ulcjava.base.client.UISession.a(UISession.java:32)
                               at com.ulcjava.base.client.UISession.access$700(UISession.java:85)
                               at com.ulcjava.base.client.UISession$0.run(UISession$0.java:13)
                               at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
                               at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
                               at java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(Unknown Source)
                               at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
                               at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
                               at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
                               at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
                               at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
                               at com.ulcjava.base.client.FilteringEventQueue.dispatchEvent(FilteringEventQueue.java:18)
                               at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
                               at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
                               at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
                               at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
                               at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
                               at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Launch File:

<jnlp codebase="http://129.246.40.18:16000" href="admin_console_webstart.jnlp" spec="1.5">
                             <information>
                               <vendor>FileMaker, Inc.</vendor>
                               <description>FileMaker Server Admin Console</description>
                               <description kind="short">FileMaker Server Admin Console</description>
                               <icon href="/images/server_icon.ico"/>
                               <icon height="32" href="/images/server_icon.ico" kind="shortcut" width="32"/>
                               <icon href="/images/server_splash_adv.jpg" kind="splash"/>
                               <title>FMS12-OED-FMServer</title>
                               <shortcut>
                                 <desktop/>
                                 <menu submenu="FileMaker Server"/>
                               </shortcut>
                             </information>
                             <resources>
                               <j2se initial-heap-size="32m" max-heap-size="128m" version="1.6+"/>
                               <jar href="admin-client-lib/admin-console-client.jar"/>
                               <jar href="admin-client-lib/valuefield-client.jar"/>
                               <jar href="admin-client-lib/linksupport-client.jar"/>
                               <jar href="admin-client-lib/datechooser-client.jar"/>
                               <jar href="admin-client-lib/ulc-jnlp-client.jar"/>
                               <jar href="admin-client-lib/ulc-base-trusted.jar"/>
                               <jar href="admin-client-lib/ulc-base-client.jar"/>
                               <jar href="admin-client-lib/ulc-servlet-client.jar"/>
                               <jar href="admin-client-lib/jgraph.jar"/>
                               <jar href="admin-client-lib/jfreechart.jar"/>
                               <jar href="admin-client-lib/jcommon.jar"/>
                               <jar href="admin-client-lib/deployment.jar"/>
                               <jar href="admin-client-lib/AppleJavaExtensions.jar"/>
                               <jar href="admin-client-lib/http.jar"/>
                               <property name="apple.laf.useScreenMenuBar" value="true"/>
                               <property name="com.apple.macos.smallTabs" value="true"/>
                               <property name="com.filemaker.adminconsole.ui.clients.showError" value="log"/>
                             </resources>
                             <resources os="Mac OS">
                               <nativelib href="admin-client-lib/libquaqua64.jnilib.jar"/>
                               <jar href="admin-client-lib/quaqua-filechooser-only.jar"/>
                             </resources>
                             <security>
                               <all-permissions/>
                             </security>
                             <application-desc main-class="com.filemaker.adminconsole.ui.clients.AdminConsoleJnlpLauncher">
                               <argument>keep-alive-interval=60</argument>
                               <argument>log-level=WARNING</argument>
                               <argument>carrier-stream-provider=com.ulcjava.base.shared.TrivialCarrierStreamProvider</argument>
                               <argument>client-coder-registry-provider=com.filemaker.ulc.client.ClientCoderRegistryProvider</argument>
                               <argument>url-string=https://129.246.40.18:16001/adminconsole.ulc</argument>
                               <argument>launchtype=normal</argument>
                               <argument>server-language=en</argument>
                               <argument>server-timezone=America/New_York</argument>
                             </application-desc>
                           </jnlp>

• 8. Re: Can't launch Admin Console from desktop
                        JonJ

Something's up, as there is no 32bit version of Java! I'd try uninstalling Java and then reinstalling it.

• 9. Re: Can't launch Admin Console from desktop
                          JonJ

Hang on, I take that back... it looks like they have produced a 32bit version for Windows. Still, I'd try an uninstall/reinstall of Java, and testing various browsers.

• 10. Re: Can't launch Admin Console from desktop
                            mmccarty

Currently we have two separate server machines.  Our old one is running FileMaker Server 11.  The new one is running FileMaker Server 12.  We are in the process of converting but currently my whole division is working in FileMaker 11.  I currently have the FileMaker 11 Admin Console on my desktop and it works great! 

If there was something wrong with my JAVA wouldn't the FileMaker 11 Admin Console be effected as well?  I'm very hesitant to mess with JAVA as it mite cause issues with the FileMaker 11 console which I'm currently using to monitor my division's databases.

• 11. Re: Can't launch Admin Console from desktop
                              JonJ

Further reading (http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10672)... so I *would* try opening port 16001 to incoming traffic.