2 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2009 11:55 AM by phabe

Can't launch Filemaker 9 Server on OSX

lk

Title

Can't launch Filemaker 9 Server on OSX

Your post

I'm trying to start up Filemaker 9 Server having not used it for some time. I don't recall having a problem before, perhaps a system update is causing a problem? The problem and solution seem well delineated in the readme ...

5.3 Java and Mac OS X 

Some versions of Java on Mac OS X may cause a connection failure and prevent the Admin Console from launching.  If this 

occurs, follow the steps below to correct the problem. 

1. Select the admin_console_webstart.jnlp file and File menu > Get Info.  

(in some cases the file may be called admin_console_init_webstart.jnlp) 

2. If the "Open with" application is set to "Java Web Start (11.5.0)" continue to step 3. 

3. For Open with, choose "Java Cache Viewer (11.5.0)", then click Change All

4. Click “OK”, and close the Get Info dialog. 

You should now be able to double-click the admin_console_webstart.jnlp file or use the Admin Console Start Page in Safari.   

The problem is that none of "admin_console_webstart.jnlp", "admin_console_init_webstart.jnlp" or "Java Cache Viewer (11.5.0)" can be found anywhere on the machine. I even looked for invisible files. Not there. This server launched from "FMS 9 Start Page" which appears to be an alias to a folder named "launch-page" which appears to be filled with html doc's. The page launches but continues with a "cannot connect ..." error message, just as the ReadMe says.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks. 

• 1. Re: Can't launch Filemaker 9 Server on OSX
          phabe

I had the same issue. FMS 9 does not like Mac OS X.  About every 90 days the Server Admin failed to launch. I had to reinstall the FMS to get the java Admin working again.

What you need is Mac OS X Server (Tiger or Leopard 10-client version  will do). With OSX Server, the FMS Admin app will launched everytime. 

• 2. Re: Can't launch Filemaker 9 Server on OSX
            phabe

I had the same issue. FMS 9 does not like Mac OS X.  About every 90 days the Server Admin failed to launch. I had to reinstall the FMS to get the java Admin working again.

What you need is Mac OS X Server (Tiger or Leopard 10-client version  will do). With OSX Server, the FMS Admin app will launcheverytime.