0 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2013 8:42 AM by tschultz

Can't see PDF in container field Filemaker Pro 12.0v3

tschultz

Title

Can't see PDF in container field Filemaker Pro 12.0v3

Your post

I'm in the process of transfering pdf files that used to be hosted on one person's local hard drive to external containers that I want to store on a Mac Mini that's acting as a server (OS 10.7.5).

I followed the instructions for setting the fields up for external storage and got a message that the contents had been successfully transferred. I did not use the "Store as Reference" option when I inserted the files.

I can log into the database remotely from my iPod Touch and I see the image of the pdf file in the container (although I can't view it...I get an error).

When I have the database opened remotely from my laptop (MacBook Pro running OS10.7.5), I can't see the contents at all. I believe that the contents are there because I get a reload prompt when I right-click (versus the opportunity to insert a file). I can also find the files on the server machine. When the database is opened locally from the server, all files still show as pdfs that play automatically. As soon as I access from the internet via our router, the pdfs no longer play.

I tried both open and secure file handling and the effect is the same--no pdfs playing. Someone suggested that this is an issue with the default pdf viewer setting on my browser. I've played with that a bit on a trial and error basis, but it's not had an impact on the results.

What am I missing?