3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2009 9:50 AM by philmodjunk

Cannot see shared file in FM server open remote list

jschulteis

Title

Cannot see shared file in FM server open remote list

Your post

The scoop:

FM9 FM Server and one DB works just fine last Friday.  Today it froze on a few machines and appeared corrupted.  I managed to revocer it just fine and I can see /view/edit/whatever the file fine via "Open...".  However,  I am unable to get that file to show up as shared on FM Server.  I've check accoutns and privelages,  they look fine,  the "invisible" check box and that is unchecked so it should be viewable.  I n fact, when you opne it it says "this fiel is shared are you sure yuo want to open it etc etc..."  So it looks as if it is already shared.  I can even see the file in FM server just fine,  it says it's status is "normal".

I'm at a loss.  Anyone have any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Cannot see shared file in FM server open remote list
          philmodjunk
             There is no guarantee that a recovered file is fully functional. It's possible that the file is still damaged. I'd test a back up copy and if it works, import the most recent data into a clone of this backup--that's best practice anyway.
          • 2. Re: Cannot see shared file in FM server open remote list
            jschulteis

Thanks for the reply.  And yeah,  I should have tried this first before I posted,  but I was able to reboot the server later tonight (no way they'd let me do that during the day!) and sure enough,  it seems somehow FM server was "hung" on just that one DB entry.  It works fine now and my recovered file is also in perfect shape.  I suppose restarting the FMserver service would also have done the trick.

• 3. Re: Cannot see shared file in FM server open remote list
              philmodjunk

"...and my recovered file is also in perfect shape"

I gently suggest that you have no way of knowing if a recovered file is in "perfect shape." There is simply no way to know what repairs were made nor if they were made correctly. It's much safer to revert back to a backup copy, importing data into a clone of it if needed.

I've had recovered files where the recover process reported "no problems found" behave differently than the original. (and I don't think it was due to rebuilt indexes.)