1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2015 11:29 AM by oak

Can´t upload database file to server fm 13

since1984

Title

Can´t upload database file to server fm 13

Your post

Hi, I'll go crazy! ;-)

I have several times tried unsuccessfully to upload with FM 13 Pro Advanced database file on my FM 13 server.

I select the local host, enter my credentials for the server console and click on "continue". Then the error message "The connection failed" appears.

BTW: At the same time, however, other databases are open on this server and run without problems.

Can anyone help me?

TIA
           since1984

• 1. Re: Can´t upload database file to server fm 13

Hans-Jürgen Kompalla:

Thank you for the post and I apologize for the delay.

A few more questions to assist us in narrowing this down:

1. What is the operating system of the FileMaker Server?

2. Is the FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced client connected to the same network as the FileMaker Server?

3. Are the necessary ports open or forwarded if outside the FileMaker Server's WAN/LAN?

Ports used by FileMaker Server 13

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Can´t upload database file to server fm 13
            since1984

Thanks for your answer.

1. The operation system for of the FileMaker Server is 10.8.5 .

2. The FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced client is connected to the same network as the FileMaker Server.

3. ---

TIA

Hans

• 3. Re: Can´t upload database file to server fm 13

Hans-Jürgen Kompalla:

Thank you for the reply.

To test the ports from the Mac OS X client:

1. Open Network Utility.app (located in Applications > Utilities )

2. Click "Port Scan" in the top right

3. Enter the I.P. address of the FileMaker Server

4. Click "Scan" 

Specifically, we are checking to see if port 443 is open to the client. That port is used for "HTTPS: Uploading databases from FileMaker Pro, inserting data in externally stored container fields from all clients."

Please let me know the results of the test. If port 443 is not open, that will need to be opened before uploading from FileMaker Pro 13 (Advanced) will be possible.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Can´t upload database file to server fm 13
                since1984
                     Hello, 

hopefully I don´t embarrass me now - FM Server and OS X server have the same IP address. FM Server is installed on this OS X Server machine (Mac mini) ... 

The ports 443 and 5003 are open.

TIA
                     Hans

• 5. Re: Can´t upload database file to server fm 13

Hans-Jürgen Kompalla:

Thank you for the reply.

Since "Local Hosts" returns connection failed, try using "Favorite Hosts" and the loopback IP address (127.0.0.1)? (See Screenshot below.) 

Is any third party security or antivirus software installed?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Can´t upload database file to server fm 13
                    since1984

Same result - same error. No third party security or antivirus software installed.

• 7. Re: Can´t upload database file to server fm 13
                      PatrickRisch

Same problem here.

Server: Windows 2008

Ports open: 80, 443, 5003

Console and database can be accessed without troubles.

Trying to upload to Server using 'FileMaker -> Sharing' results in a 'Connection failed' error.

I cannot find any log file on the server nor the client telling me what's going on.

Patrick

• 8. Re: Can´t upload database file to server fm 13

@All: 

Thank you for the replies.

I am unable to replicate. Using FileMaker Pro 13, I am able to upload database files to FileMaker Server 13.

Does the upload work from a local copy of FileMaker Pro 13 on the server?

Please review the following knowledge base article for the steps and other work arounds for uploading to FileMaker Server 13:

Uploading database files to FileMaker Server

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Can´t upload database file to server fm 13
                          PatrickRisch

Hi TSFalcon

Thanks for the reply.

Please send me your Email.

I will give you access to the server in question.

Patrick.

• 10. Re: Can´t upload database file to server fm 13
                            PatrickRisch

Hi TSFalcon

I have tested the upload with a local copy of FileMaker Pro 13 on the server.

Same error message and no success to connect to the server to upload the file.

Patrick

• 11. Re: Can´t upload database file to server fm 13

Patrick Risch: 

Thank you for the reply.

The only two factors that could stop a local upload from a FileMaker Pro 13 client to a FileMaker Server 13 on the same machine would either be third party software such as firewall or antivirus or a damaged installation. 

When you tested locally, were you physically at the computer with a keyboard and mouse, not using any VPN or remote desktop software? 

Some VPN and remote desktop software could conflict by using the same ports we use to upload.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Can´t upload database file to server fm 13
                                PatrickRisch

Hi TSFalcon

Thanks.

No, no Antivirus installed

Firewall: I did deactivate the Windows Firewall for a moment to test the local and remote upload. No avail.

It is a remote connection (via Remote Desktop, no VPN tunnel)

One more question before I go and reinstall the whole server (it is a productive system).

The IIS shows two sites:

1 Default site (disabled)

2 FMI-Test Site (enabled) - bound to port 80 and 443

I did (for testing purpose) disable the Site 2 and started Site 1. No avail.

From FileMaker Server Advanced 12 I recall that FMSA12 only worked with the original installed site 1 (one) enabled. But FMS13 is not FMSA12. So- does this problem  / restriction still exist?

Patrick

• 13. Re: Can´t upload database file to server fm 13

Patrick Risch: 

Thank you for the reply.

"It is a remote connection (via Remote Desktop, no VPN tunnel)"

Before you reinstall the server, could you try locally from the physical machine with the firewalls off? 

Remote desktop could be using port 80, so we need to eliminate that factor from the equation.

FileMaker Server 13 builds its own web server during the installation process. No additional configuration of IIS or Apache is necessary. For more see Chapter 7, "Setting up the web server" in the FileMaker Server 13 Getting Started Guide.

FileMaker Server 13 Getting Started Guide

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Can´t upload database file to server fm 13
                                    parkerdog

I am having the exact same problem posted by Hans-Jürgen Kompalla

I get a "Connection Failure" when I try to upload a file to the FMP server with an FMP client.  I have tried the upload from a remote computer, as well as from the FMP Server computer directly with an FMP client.  I have tried an FMPA client also and received the same error.

•           The FMP Server is v13.0.1 on OS 10.8.5.  The FMPA client is 13.0v3, and the FMP client on the FMP Server machine is 13.0.1v3.
                                    •      
                                    •           There are no plugins installed on the FMP server
                                    •      
                                    •           I have tried each of the suggestions above, but none have resolved the issue.
                                    •      
                                    •           We have run disk utility on the FMP server machine and rebooted
                                    •      
                                    •           There are no problems connecting to this server for regular database access, and, other than this issue, the server functions properly 
                                    •      
                                    •           Previously, files had been uploaded to this server using an FMP client, but I do not know what may have changed since the initial deployment of this server and now.

Parker

1 2 Previous Next