3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2015 10:16 AM by disabled_ntaylor

Certificate Server with Multiple DNS Entries and Multiple IP addresses

JohnDuncan

Title

Certificate Server with Multiple DNS Entries and Multiple IP addresses

Your post

The documentation says that wildcard SSL certificates are not supported in FMS 13.  Does anyone know if it supports importing multiple certificates for a FileMaker Server that is addressed through multiple FQDNs and multiple IP addresses?  For example the server might be addressed as db1.xxx.com on one of its WAN connections and db2.xxx.com on another.  I need to make sure that all of its names are trusted. 

• 1. Re: Certificate Server with Multiple DNS Entries and Multiple IP addresses
          Markus Schneider

certificats are for a 'root' domain (top domain) -> xxx.com, therefore it should be possible to use the same certificate for db1 and db2. You have to own the top domain, thought.

Here is a very good video about ssl and FileMaker (from technet/community.filemaker.com)

• 2. Re: Certificate Server with Multiple DNS Entries and Multiple IP addresses
            JohnDuncan

Hi Markus - Thanks for your answer but FileMaker has already answered that you can't use a wildcard certificate but rather that it must be for a specific fully qualified domain name (FQDN).  I.E. if the domain is xxx.com and the company legitimately owns a wildcard certificate for *.xxx.com it won't work with FileMaker Server.  This means that we have a certificate for a specific FQDN like db1.xxx.com for one of the WAN connections and another like db2.xxx.com for the second WAN connection.  This would then require that we include 2 certificates in the CSTORE.  What I'm trying to find out is whether FileMaker supports that for Server 13v9 or if there is some other way that we can get a certificate that will work correctly when FM Server has 2 or more FQDNs that are used to reference it.

• 3. Re: Certificate Server with Multiple DNS Entries and Multiple IP addresses

John Duncan:

Thank you for the post.

“This would then require that we include 2 certificates in the CSTORE.  What I'm trying to find out is whether FileMaker supports that for Server 13v9 or if there is some other way that we can get a certificate that will work correctly when FM Server has 2 or more FQDNs that are used to reference it.”

FileMaker Server 13 will only support a single certificate for a singe installation. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.