2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2009 4:34 PM by jtcdesigns

Changing filemaker server 9 database location

jtcdesigns

Title

Changing filemaker server 9 database location

Your post

I have heard in previous versions of filemaker that you had to install the database on a seperate drive or location than the server was installed but now its all together by default. I was wondering if I can change where the original database lives. I went into the admin console and I noticed you can make a copy of the database to another location but you cant just move it to another drive and have that be the only database its reading from. Also Is there a way to set where your log files are being saved? I saw no option for this or even a setting for logs Right now its about 5 or 6MB per log per day. I think this is rather rediculous because our database is only 391MB and our logs were upwards of 2.3GB. Any help would be appreciated, I've used other database programs that seem much more straight forward with this... maybe filemaker just doesn't let me do this.

• 1. Re: Changing filemaker server 9 database location
          rmanook

Hi jtcdesigns,

Thanks for posting.

In the Admin Console > Database Server > Default Folders window you can add an additional database folder that sits on another drive.  However, the limitation is that this additional drive cannot be a network drive.  

Unfortunately, you can't configure the location of the FileMaker log files.  However, you can go to the Database Server > Logging window and configure the Log size.

While the log files are currently larger than your databases, keep in mind that the 80 GB minimum/recommended system specs will take things such as the log files and backups into account. 

Thanks!

tsturtle

FileMaker, inc. 

• 2. Re: Changing filemaker server 9 database location
            jtcdesigns
               Thanks, I really wish I could change the primary location of the database though. I did what you said months ago and it didn't seem to work so maybe this is a new thing with 9.... I haven't installed 10 year but I think that may be soon