3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2010 3:11 PM by philmodjunk

Chunks of data lost

KevinHolloway

Title

Chunks of data lost

Your post

Hi,

I work for a research laboratory. We have about 5 copies of File Maker Pro 8 and 9 and are running File Maker Server 9 update 3. We have had a few occasions where data just disappeared, or failed to back up to the server. Most recently, we had a very large chunk of data that was entered manually all on the same day by two people. Next time someone tried to access the data, it was all missing. Our network administrator noticed that in his "server view" some of the databases appeared more than once, though each has only one file.

Is it possible that this data loss is a result of people accessing the database via conflicting file paths?

Have other users experienced data loss of this kind?

Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Kevin Holloway

Brain Development Lab

University of Oregon

• 1. Re: Chunks of data lost
          philmodjunk

How have you set up your server?

Each user should be launching filemaker and then using open Remote... to find and access the file hosted by the server. That "path" thus should be identical--don't see how it could differ from one user to the next.

"Our network administrator noticed that in his "server view" some of the databases appeared more than once, though each has only one file."

That line's got me scratching my head in confusion. What do you mean by "server view"? Is he using the Server Admin application to look at the list of files open on the server or something else? If that's what your administrator is doing, it suggests that you have more than one copy of the file open and hosted by your server and that would definitely be recipe for missing data.

• 2. Re: Chunks of data lost
            KevinHolloway

Yes, our network administrator was using the Server Admin application. It seems that at some point, he moved the database files from their original directory, to a sub-folder that he created. He has now moved the files back into the main directory and deleted the sub-folder. Now, only one occurrence of each database appears as being hosted by our server.

Based on this information, can I be reasonably sure that we have remedied the problem?

• 3. Re: Chunks of data lost
              philmodjunk

Well we don't really know for sure how the data went missing! That'd require hopping in a time machine and secretely watch everything take place all over again. ;-)

You've certainly eliminated the most likely cause of the issue.

If the problem doesn't recur, I'd say you've fixed it.