8 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2014 2:53 PM by alternapop

Client authentication failed on database

CarlaS

Title

Client authentication failed on database

Your post

I am getting a warning when on the Status page of the Admin Console "Client [username, work station, ip address ] authentication failed on database".

What is causing this warning message?  Is there something in my setup that needs to be changed?

I'm using FileMaker Server 13 and FileMakerPro 13.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Client authentication failed on database
          philmodjunk

Are the clients having any issues using the file when this happens?

I know that I posted this info earlier in what I think was a conversation with you, but in the interests of covering all the bases, I'm going to repeat myself:

a) If a client attempts to access a database but fails to enter the correct account name and password, I would expect to see this warning to be posted in the log. This would be normal behavior and once the client enters the correct credentials, they can access the file with no problems.

b) When a user accesses a layout or runs a script that contains a reference to data in another file (via an External Data Source Reference), FileMaker attempts to open that file with exactly the same credentials as was used to open the current file. If there is no matching account with the same account name and password, this again will produce this warning in the log. I do not know if this is still the case in FileMaker Server 13, but in my older version of server, this warning is logged even if file options are set to auto enter a different account name and password when the file opens. The user experiences no issues with the file as it opens correctly thanks to the auto-entered credentials, but the warning is logged all the same in the server log.

Does anyone know of an additional circumstance that can result in this warning being logged?

• 2. Re: Client authentication failed on database
            CarlaS

I am getting this warning in the log viewer whenever I log in to as a client.  I am currently testing the file getting it ready for our FM13 launch and am the only user currently accessing the file. 

I have the Client Authentication set to FileMaker accounts only on the Security tab in the Database Server on the Admin Console.   In the FileMaker Pro Account Setup screen, I have Account is authenticated via:  FileMaker.

One thing of note, even though I'm getting the authentication failed warning, I have no problems working in the file when I'm logged in as a client.

Am I missing something?

• 3. Re: Client authentication failed on database
              CarlaS

I have still never been able to get an answer that corrects this problem. 

I am getting this warning in the log viewer whenever any user logs in as a client.  I have the Client Authentication set to FileMaker accounts only on the Security tab in the Database Server on the Admin Console.   In the FileMaker Pro Account Setup screen, I have Account is authenticated via:  FileMaker.

Neither of the suggestions above are the reason for the warning messages. 

I've also researched all documentation for this type of warning and I don't find any answers.  Has anyone else experienced this problem? 

• 4. Re: Client authentication failed on database
                jessicar

I'm experiencing this as well, not really troublesome it's just annoying and makes me ignore my log.

Mine almost falls under category (b), except:

"FM attempts to open that file with exactly the same credentials as was used to open the current file"

That's not what is happening. The error is citing the computer name, which is not even close to the login credentials that were used to open the current file. (BTW, We are not using external authentication. Nor is anything set in FileOptions. Users input their accountname and password upon entry in every database. The names and passwords are the same throughout.)

• 5. Re: Client authentication failed on database
                  philmodjunk

Nor is anything set in FileOptions.

Then this is not due to case b) in my original post. That particular message is specific to the file failing to open a second file with the account name and password--and an Account name is neither the computer name nor the user name, used to open the first file. It appears that the setting in File Options then kicks in and opens the file with an auto-entered password, but only after the first attempt failed and was logged as an error.

A while back, I sent a PM to a TS person that responds to posts here in the forum. They indicated that they had looked at this thread and were discussing it with a coworker that also posts here, but I see that they haven't yet posted here...

• 6. Re: Client authentication failed on database
                    jessicar

Ah, well I think that just makes it more odd then.... For each Account Name in FileMaker we use our full first and last name. However, the error log is saying that we're trying to login with our computer name.    Maybe Gremlins? :)

• 7. Re: Client authentication failed on database

@All: 

Thank you for the post and sorry about the delay.

I am unsure why this is happening, but I do have some additional questions that may assist us with narrowing this down:

1. Could we test to see if this occurs with a new database with one field and one layout?

2. Is anyone's operating system account on either an Active or Open Directory? 

Note: The user account used to log in to the computer, not the FileMaker Server or database.

3. Are any external data sources (FileMaker or otherwise) being called or opened by one of the .fmp12 files?

4. Is the new FileMaker script step "Perform Script on Server" being called anywhere in the solution?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Client authentication failed on database
                        alternapop

FMS 13.0.2 on Win Server 2008 r2

I created a simple  "Contacts" test database from the built-in Contacts template.  I added it to the server and password protected it.  It's part of a Group Start page.

If I open the Group Start page and click on "webd" next to the database, I get an email warning if I click on "cancel" and don't try to authenticate to the database and I also get this warning if I close the browser window and don't select "cancel" or "ok".

Server is not connected to AD or OD.  There are no external data sources.

If I don't attempt to authenticate with an invalid account and simply close the window or click on 'cancel', I wouldn't consider that a failed authentication attempt.

"Client "[WebDirect] [ IP Address ]" authentication failed on database "Contacts.fmp12" using "Admin [fmwebdirect]"."