8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2010 1:39 AM by aaaaaaaa

Client will not connect to ODBC Data Source on host

Karnel

Title

Client will not connect to ODBC Data Source on host

Your post

I'm running FMServer 11 Advanced on a VM windows setup.  I am trying to connect to a Microsoft Sql Server 2005 data source on our network.  I have installed and configured the ODBC driver on the FM server and it successfully connects to the Sql server.  My problem is getting the client to connect.  When I attempt to setup the External Data Source it will not connect to the DSN.

I have successfully connected and I am currently running the same database on a Mac box running FMServer 9 using the Actual SQL Server ODBC Driver.  We are wanting to move all of our boxes to Windows VMs so I need to get this working it.

I've upload an image showing how one can see the DSN and the other cannot.  Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

9-15-2010_9-57-44_AM.jpg

• 1. Re: Client will not connect to ODBC Data Source on host

Karnel:

Thank you for posting.

It appears that the client machine does not have a System DSN defined. The DSN will need to be setup on any machine that is connecting directly to the External SQL Source.

Or does the client machine have a System DSN and FileMaker Pro is just unable to see it? In that case, what is the operating system of the client? Is any other application with ODBC connectivity (such as Excel) able to see the list of System DSN's on the client machine?

TSuki
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Client will not connect to ODBC Data Source on host
            Karnel

TSuki:

Thanks for your quick response.  I do have a System DSN defined on the client and I just tested Excel and it can connect just fine.  My client is a Windows XP and I've also tried from a Mac OS X ver 10.5.8. 

I can sucessfully connected to the data source when I connect to the database on my Mac OS X Server running FMServer 9 using the Actual SQL Server ODBC Driver.  It is from my Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard that is on a Virtual Server running FMServer 11 Advanced that I cannot connect to.

Karnel

• 3. Re: Client will not connect to ODBC Data Source on host

Karnel:

Was the system DSN on the 2008 Server setup using the 32-bit ODBC Data Source Administrator? (%systemdrive%\Windows\SysWoW64\Odbcad32.exe)

TSuki
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Client will not connect to ODBC Data Source on host
                Karnel

Yes, it is the 32-bit ODBC Data Source Administrator. 

• 5. Re: Client will not connect to ODBC Data Source on host

Karnel:

Just to clarify the situation, you currently have a Windows XP machine with several system DSN's defined but when you try to add an external ODBC data source in FileMaker Pro 11v2 on this machine the list of available sources is empty? You mentioned that you also tested on some Macs - were they able to see a list of data sources? Your screenshot shows a machine that appears to be working correctly - is this FileMaker Pro running on the 2008 Server?

TSuki
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Client will not connect to ODBC Data Source on host
                    Karnel

Answers to your questions:

Just to clarify the situation, you currently have a Windows XP machine  with several system DSN's defined but when you try to add an external  ODBC data source in FileMaker Pro 11v2 on this machine the list of  available sources is empty?

Correct, when I try to add an external ODBC data source in FileMaker client 11 in the database that is being hosted on the 2008 Server the available sources is empty (When I add an external ODBC data source in the db being hosted on my Mac OS X Server everything works fine).

You mentioned that you also tested on some  Macs - were they able to see a list of data sources?

I cannot see the data sources on my mac either.

Your screenshot  shows a machine that appears to be working correctly - is this FileMaker  Pro running on the 2008 Server?

The one that is working correctly is connecting to the Mac OS X Server.

• 7. Re: Client will not connect to ODBC Data Source on host

Karnel:

So to clarify further, within FileMaker Pro 11 on your Windows XP machine, you use Open Remote... to open a version of your file that is hosted on both FMSA 11 and FMS 9. When you are trying to add the External Data Source to the file hosted by FMSA 11, none of the System DSN's setup on the Windows XP machine appear?

This does seem unusual. You mentioned that you tried the above from a Mac client and experienced the same result. This would indicate that the issue isn't with the client machines.

Does this issue seem specific to just this file? You could test this by trying to add an external ODBC source for another file hosted on FMSA 11.

Otherwise, the issue seems particular to the 2008 Server. You could even test installing FMSA 11 on one of the Macs to see if the issue is specific to the operating system or that particular version of FMS.

Can you add the External Data Source to the file if you copy it to the Windows XP machine and open it locally? Does the external source connect if you then upload it back to the server (which should have a DSN of the same name)? This could at least provide a possible workaround. We do recommend doing development only on local copies of the databases.

TSuki
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Client will not connect to ODBC Data Source on host
                        aaaaaaaa

Hi!

I'd like to connect to a Filemaker server, using visual basic.

I know it is working with system dsn, but I dont want to do it.

I want to specify everything in the connection string.

My problem is, I don't know the the name of the provider!

With using Postgresql server, the code was this:

ConStr = "Provider=PostgreSQL.1;Data Source=" & dbHOST & ";location=mylocation;"

Now I want to change PostgreSQL.1, to Filemaker, but I dont know the name...

Somebody could help me?

Thanks any answers!