4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2013 1:07 PM by DavidJondreau

Clone Database File Without Records via FMS11

BillCurran

Title

Clone Database File Without Records via FMS11

Your post

I'm in a bit of a pickle and can't seem to find the best question/answer here that fits my problem. I'm using FileMakerPro 11 and FMS11 on Mac OS X 10.6. 

Our server hosts one "main" database file (NAMES) and a few related "sub" database files we create each year to track a specific competition we run, i.e. FILMS 2011, FILMS 2012, etc. Again, all are hosted through our FMS11. 

What I need to do is create FILMS 2013. In essence: create a clone of FILMS 2012, with none of the records, living on the same server as NAMES, FILMS 2012, FILMS 2011, et. al. 

My problem/question: since they are hosted on FMS11, I can't open the source file and perform the "Save a Copy As..." Clone function. An error message is telling me I need to open the source file on the network.

I feel that this should be very simple, but I'm hitting a wall. I feel as if I'm missing an obvious step.

I've also been doing research and feel I could maybe do the Clone from a scheduled back-up, but I'm slightly confused by that process.

My tech (and FM) literacy is slightly above average, so any help would be greatly appreciated! A former employee of ours handled this and, unfortunately, I am unable to go to them for the quick answer!

• 1. Re: Clone Database File Without Records via FMS11
          philmodjunk

You'll need to use that back up copy. Copy that back up copy across the network to your machine. Open it in FileMaker Pro. Use save a copy as with the clone option to save an empty copy of the file. Put this clone back up on your server.

PS. Generating a new copy of a file for every year is usually not the optimum way to manage data. A single file where records have a number field to identify the year makes better sense. You can keep all your data for multiple years in the same file this way, but use finds or relationships to work with data for a specific year.

• 2. Re: Clone Database File Without Records via FMS11
            DavidJondreau

You don't state why you want to do this, but it's probably a bad idea. You should likely be keeping all the data in one file, using finds to winnow your records to the selected year.

Regardless, yes, you can do a scheduled (or on-demand) backup in Server, including creating a clone.

It's worthwhile to read through the basic FM Server documentation to understand that much.

If you wanted to get fancy, there are ways of automatically renaming the file using a batch script and re-opening it, but if you don't know how to run a regular server backup, that's going to be beyond your reach.

• 3. Re: Clone Database File Without Records via FMS11
              philmodjunk

Hi David,

Is it possible to schedule a server backup that produces a cloned copy in Server 11 or 12?

I'm still using 10 here and don't see any such option--hence my advice to take a regular back up and use it to generate the clone.

• 4. Re: Clone Database File Without Records via FMS11
                DavidJondreau

Yes, on both 11 and 12 you can make a clone.