3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2009 7:48 AM by mrvodka

Combining records from 2 databases.

IH8UM

Title

Combining records from 2 databases.

Your post

I have 2 databases with the same fields in them. I imported the records from one file into the other file. I could see the number of records in the database increase by the number of records in the second database, but when I search for those records, they do not show up. They were imported as a .csv file. Any ideas why I can't find the records or how to fix it?

Thanks,

Rich 

• 1. Re: Combining records from 2 databases.
          philmodjunk

"when I search for those records, they do not show up"

You don't indicate how you searched for them. Here's a general way to inspect your imported records for problems:

If you do not have a layout like this, create one:

Select a layout that displays all the fields from the table that recieved your imported data in a list or table view. Show all records, unsorted. The records you imported should be at the end of this list/table view of records so scroll to the end of the list/table. Examine the data in these fields for any problems such as data in the wrong field or question marks. That may reveal problems stemming from how you imported the data.

• 2. Re: Combining records from 2 databases.
            IH8UM

Thanks. That was helpful. What happened was the data populated the wrong fields. When I did a search for a company name, that information was in the phone number box, so it couldn't find it. I deleted all of the records that I had imported.

What is the proper way to merge two filemaker databases that have the same data fields?

Thanks,

Rich 

• 3. Re: Combining records from 2 databases.
              mrvodka
                 When you import, you should be able to map the fields. However, when dealing with csv, if there is no first record with field names, you may want to just import both csv into their own tables first, then rename the fields and once you do that, you can import one table into the other based onthe names that you now can understand and match up on.