2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2011 3:26 PM by mac4ever

Connect to FM Server with an iPad and Safari

mac4ever

Title

Connect to FM Server with an iPad and Safari

Your post

Hi,

I'm not new to Filemaker but since I don't have any experience with FM and iPad, I like to take the chance to post some questions here.

I'm involved with a rather complex project, the rough layout of that project looks like this:

We like to use FM-Server as a Cash-System, the employees in the shops use iPads and Barcode-Scaners to enter the customer data and scan the products.

Our plan is to use the Web-Interface on the iPad.

So my questions are:

• Does the iPad work fine with the Web-Interface form FM-Server. 

• Is FM-Server the right choice. We will grow fast in the coming years, 50 employees this year and growing.

• How to overcome the limitation of 100 Web-Users?

Thanks for your help…

FM-Structure.png

• 1. Re: Connect to FM Server with an iPad and Safari
          philmodjunk

Have you looked into using FileMaker GO on the iPad so that it functions as a client of FM Server? That may avoid having to publish your system to the Web.

If you search the forum, you'll find that several people have been experimenting with an iPad or iPhone and a barcode scanner with FileMaker GO.

• 2. Re: Connect to FM Server with an iPad and Safari
            mac4ever

Thank you PhilModJunk for your suggestion, to answer your question why we intend to use the web interface: Isn't that the purpose of the FM-Server, so you don't need to buy any clients… a 100 clients (Filemaker GO) adding up to $3990…

Do you have any concerns about security with the Web feature in 'Filemaker Server Advanced'?

Thanks for the hint about the Barcode Scanners, I have already plenty of information about that topic… Smile

enjoy