3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2013 4:52 PM by JonJ

Connecting to filemaker server from remote server via PHP API

JasonM_1

Title

Connecting to filemaker server from remote server via PHP API

Your post

I am trying to connect to a filemaker server remotely via PHP API and do not have "filemaker.php" to include. I do not own filemaker and have not been able to find where to download this file... Can anyone point me in the right direction?

• 1. Re: Connecting to filemaker server from remote server via PHP API
          JonJ

FileMaker.php is the front-end to FileMaker's PHP API, so you'll need that in your php.ini include_path. There's an associated library of files, so you'll need those, too. 

I think it's a proprietary library, so I don’t imagine it’s (legally) available for download anywhere. That said, it’s part of the FileMaker Server install package, so have you asked whoever administers the FileMaker server you’re trying to connect to?   

Once installed as part of FIleMaker Server, the files are found in program files, FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Web Publishing\publishing-engine\php\ (on Windows; it’s a similar location for Mac). 

I’ve never tried using the library on a server that wasn’t also hosting the Web Publishing Services, and so I don’t know if it will allow you to connect from a remote location. It should be OK… I think.

• 2. Re: Connecting to filemaker server from remote server via PHP API
            JasonM_1

Thanks for your answer JonJ. And yes I can confirm that it is possible to connect from a remote location via php api.

My FileMaker server administrator is slowly responding and getting me what I need:
                 Filemaker.php
                 FileMaker folder with all files
                 API reference
                 Tutorials
                 Examples

And hey it has only cost me 3 days though I am still waiting on API reference.

Don't understand why Filemaker does not make the API ref/tutorials/examples available publicly... a proprietary implementation example, seriously? Suppose I could download and install the trial version...if I was on Mac or Windows....

Anyway thanks again for your reply.

• 3. Re: Connecting to filemaker server from remote server via PHP API
              JonJ

No problem! Good ol' Jonathan Stark has the complete command reference: http://jonathanstark.com/fm/filemaker-api-for-php-documentation.php

The PHP API for FileMaker is a bit more cumbersome than the SQL commands you mighty be used to, but it can be pretty useful.

Cheers,

J.