AnsweredAssumed Answered

Container image reference issue across system platforms

Question asked by Kobyashi on Sep 1, 2010
Latest reply on Sep 22, 2011 by sksmith2517

Title

Container image reference issue across system platforms

Your post

Using FMS 10 Advanced, with users on both Mac FM and PC FM clients I have an issue with inserting references to images in container fields.

Someone is likely to produce a better way of doing this.

I have a table of tenants and a table of images. Users need to add images of a tenant to the image table and these images need to be stored on a server. Therefore the container will only contain a reference.

To facilitate this I have a container field named imageData and a global container field called ximageData. When users add an image a script imports it to the ximageData field and then export the data using a prefdefined file path and a newly calculated file name to a folder on a server. If successful a reference to the saved image file is inserted as a reference in to the imageData field and this is what is shown on a layout.

This while process works well except that the image reference is OS specific. That is to say, if the user is using a pc client then it inserts a reference of 'imagemac:' while for a pc it will be 'imagepc:' with the appropriate path to the server and image for the operating system. Therefore, if I upload an image using a PC FM client then it wont be visible to someone using a mac client.

What's the solution here? What am I doing wrongly?

Outcomes