3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2012 1:44 PM by philmodjunk

Conversion Time

zasuwa_1

Title

Conversion Time

Your post

I have 2 large tables in FMP Server 10 that are each 4 GB.  About 14 million records in one and the other 23 million records.  Does anyone possibly know how long it will take FMP 12 Server to convert these records to FMP 12 format?  And will I use FMP 12 (not server) to do the conversion process?

I need to know in order to stage the conversion project.  Thanks for any advice.

• 1. Re: Conversion Time
          philmodjunk

The time will depend on more than the number of bytes. The number of indexed fields, the number of indexed calculation fields will be a factor as well as other issues that are more a case of complexity than file size.

That said, it will take a while and yes you'll use FileMaker PRo 10 or FileMaker Advanced 12 to convert the file. I'd set this up at quitting time, kick it off and then check back in the morning to see if it converted successfully. You may need to convert it twice--once from a back up copy so you can test the converted copy to see if it works OK and then a second time with all the latest dat edits in order to bring it back up as a Filemaker 12 file.

• 2. Re: Conversion Time
            zasuwa_1

I was hoping someone had some practical experience with FMP12 and actual timing data.  Maybe that will come in the future once people start buying it.

• 3. Re: Conversion Time
              philmodjunk

Their timing data would not be a good prediction for you as their file will not match yours. The number of records and the number of bytes to the file are not the only factor in determining the time required. I suggest you experiment on a backup copy of your file and see how it goes.