AnsweredAssumed Answered

Creating robots in FileMaker Server 9

Question asked by RAP on Nov 4, 2009
Latest reply on Nov 13, 2009 by hiatts

Title

Creating robots in FileMaker Server 9

Your post

I have an inventory management system built originally in FileMaker Pro 6. This system has an associated website built using CDML. Served to the web using FileMaker 6 Unlimited and IIS, it works very well.

I have now converted the databse to FMP 9, and the website has been redone, replacing the CDML tags with PHP. This is also working very well, running on FileMaker Pro Server 9.0.3.325. OS is Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition.

However, when using FM 6 Unlimited, my users can call a script via the web that creates a complex report, prints it as a PDF file using pdfFactory and, using the Troi File plugin, renames the file and transfers it to the web folder so that it can be viewed on line and subsequently downloaded by the user.

As I understand it, neither FileMaker Server 9 or 10 can create server side PDFs.

I have read a number of posts that refer to the use of robot machines to do this kind of work, but nowhere can I find any information on how to do this - i.e. how do you get FileMaker Server to access and run a script on another machine?

This script needs to be run immediately, not at some later time.

Likewise, I use SMTPiT to send an email: to the customer who is ordering online, to the warehouse and to the customer's account manager, notifying them that an order has been received.

I believe this will also need to be done on a robot machine.

Any information or pointers to information on how to do this would be very gratefully received.

Outcomes