1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 31, 2013 4:02 PM by philmodjunk

Custom label sizes

RobPomper

Title

Custom label sizes

Your post

Hi, I'm using ProAdvanced12.1 on a Mac running 10.8.2.

I have about 85 pages of labels to run off, but I've come up with a bit of a problem.

First, I'm using Avery 4013 labels.  Their physical dimensions are 12" tall page by 4.5" wide with 12 labels per page in a single column.

Each label is 15/16 of an inch tall with a 1/16" gap in between. There is a 1/16" game at the top and bottom of each page.

I'm printing on an OkiData ML390 dot matrix printer. 

Simply put, this has be stymied.  When I used the wizard to set up the labels, it automatically assumed that I wanted only 11 labels per page, which is a bit confusing.  When I tried to print some off, just to check, it had indeed spaced the print out to fit an 11 label sheet ... and then did something that caught me off guard:  It printed 11 labels, then skipped 11 labels, then printed the last label.  

So, I figured I'd do a custome label.  My problem is that if I set the label height at .994", it will print 12 labels on a page, but it looses around 5/32" per page ... which adds up to around 10" overall ... and lots of missed labels. 

When I got up to 1" tall labels, it assums that I can only do 11 labels per page.

Any ideas of how I can make it realize that 12 labels can fit on an Avery 4013 label, or how to tweak it so that it will fit? Is there a way to change the gutter size between labels that I'm missing?

• 1. Re: Custom label sizes
          philmodjunk

The question has nothing to do with FileMaker Server and should have been posted to the FM PRo forum section.

You need a custom page size specified when printing your labels as standard page sizes will be either 11 (letter) or 14 (legal) inches or the european equivalents that are close to these two lengths. 12 inches is not a standard page size so you'll have to work with your Operating system based printer driver settings to specify either a page size of 12 inches or 1 inch. I recommend the 1 inch setting as being more flexible.

Given the 1 inche setting, you can design your label layout without using the labels wizard at all. Just be sure to use printer setup to select your printer, page size and page orientation before trying to create your layout for printing your label.