2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2012 12:15 PM by philmee95

Custom web publishing dev box, fmp advanced desktop?

philmee95

Title

Custom web publishing dev box, fmp advanced desktop?

Your post

Does custom web publishing have to be run against the server? Can I host a file on my laptop and test custom web publishing on it. So far it looks like no, but I have regular filemaker Client installed. I can run the questionaires tutorial (converted file to 12) when the db is run on advanced server.

I would like to do a bunch of fiddling with php and not hit the production server. Can I buy a copy of Filemaker 12 advanced? Should I install our old copy of filemaker advanced server 11 on my laptop as the only alternative as installing server 12 on my laptop would probably cause the insdtaller to complain that there is already an instance running.

I am running win7 pro on i7 with 8 gigs of ram. I have iis and apache installed. PHP is installed via fastcgi on iis and cgi in apache. Running the Filemaker.php file on my laptop works against the server database only, and not one running on my laptop.

• 1. Re: Custom web publishing dev box, fmp advanced desktop?
          philmodjunk

I would think this should be possible, but haven't tried it myself. I can clear up a few points, howerever:

Server 11 cannot host FileMaker 12 files.

Server advanced is not needed for custom web publishing Filemaker server can do this also and is much less expensive. Server Acvanced is needed for Instant web publishing and JDBC/ODBC.

FileMaker Pro Advanced (not server advanced) is a good thing to have for development, but offers no additional capabilities when it comes to hosting the file.

• 2. Re: Custom web publishing dev box, fmp advanced desktop?
            philmee95

We just upgraded 1 license to desktop advanced and I may get it too for me as it would help with scriptmaster and script debugging (variable watch and also just commenting lines out). We already had server advanced for when we tried using filemaker as an odbc source so we just kept the same level in case we want to try again.

I know the 11 and 12 formats are different, but I would at least spin out a proof of concept. I may try just developing against the production server with a cloned file as I do not really need fmp server on my laptop. I already have mysql and sql 2005 on there and don't need to bog it down anymore.

Instant web publishing on standalone filemaker 12 desktop was up in no time, just can't get the file to be a source for custom web publishing (upload file to server and it works fine).