1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 10, 2012 1:53 PM by disabled_ntaylor

Database performance with Filemaker Server

ahcho

Title

Database performance with Filemaker Server

Your post

Hello!

I am running FM Server 12 advanced. This is my first go with FM Server (it's pretty cool) but I had some questions regarding database performance. I am hosting files on FMS12 and consuming them through FMgo 12.

Here is my setup:

Worker DB - This database is very few layouts and is primarily used on the iPhone to collect information

Overlord DB - This database has several layouts and tables. Worker DB pushes data to Overlord DB.

Is there an improvement in performance with this setup if I am using Worker DB remotely over 3G? My understanding of FMServer is that it will only pull the necessary information that the user (via FMGo). If that understanding is correct, then splitting the databases wouldn't provide a boost in performance.

Is that correct?

Aaron

• 1. Re: Database performance with Filemaker Server

Aaron Ho:

Thank you for your post.

Pushing information between two separate database files requires more data processing than working from a single file.

Two different accounts can be used to obtain the same results. One account for those who need access to the layouts in the Overlord database, and a second account for the iOS users who only need limited layout and table(s) access. Keeping all information in a single file saves the need to push data between files.

TSFalcon
          FileMaker, Inc.