4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2010 5:13 PM by DSM

Database Read Only?

DSM

Title

Database Read Only?

Your post

I am hoping that someone could shed some light on this problem. I have a database that I have been working on for the past few months. I am using the latest version of FMP 10 along with the latest version of FMS Advanced on an OS X Server. Throughout the last few months I have uploaded the database to the server to test some features through Instant Web Publishing. So far everything has been working fine. Now I am ready to upload the final product to the server, and for some reason when I log in using Instant Web Publishing (as admin) it says the database is read only. The last time I loaded the database to the server was about a month ago and that version still works. I have changed a lot of layouts and added tables since then, but I did not change anything that I feel would affect this.

Any ideas?

Thanks for all the help.

• 1. Re: Database Read Only?
          mrvodka

Did you set up an account with a privilege set that has edit capabilities, IWP enabled, and log in with that account?

• 2. Re: Database Read Only?
            Sez

Hello Team,

I'm having a similar problem.  Although I'm new to FMP Server Advanced, I've been successfully working with and publishing databases that enable writing to the database via the web ui.  However I have one database that for some reason remains read only.  I have two accounts setup with edit capabilities, the guest account and the Admin account, neither of them let me write to the file.  My "new record" button does not work and the fmp new record button does not work.  However the FMP sort button does. Everything else is grayed out and uneditable.   It feels like the problem should be a simple one but when I compare settings to another database that is working correctly, they seem to match.

Any ideas?

- Sez 

• 3. Re: Database Read Only?
              Sez

Hello Team,

I finally figured out what was giving me a similar problem.  I was creating the database on a different machine and when I copied the file over to the server machine the user ownership was being changed.  You can see the sharing and permission settings with a get info command at the finder.  

The "fmsadmin" user was set to "read only" for some reason.  So I changed the privilege setting for the fmsadmin group to "read and write" and my problem was solved immediately.

I actually found this solution in the FMP 10 Pro help files.

Hope this helps someone.

- Sez 

• 4. Re: Database Read Only?
                DSM

Thanks everyone for your posts. I did eventually come up with a solution as well. I too copied the database from another computer and pasted it into the data folder directly. I have done this several times before without a problem in the past. For whatever reason I was now having a problem, so instead of a direct copy and past, I opened the Filemaker Admin Console, click Databases, right clicked and selected upload. Then navigated to the database that I had already copied to my desktop from the other computer and allowded the Filemaker Admin Console to basically copy it to the data folder and from then on everything worked. 

Hope this helps someone.

Doug