4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2011 9:18 AM by TSGal

Database server not available

DylanValentine

Title

Database server not available

Your post

Hello,

I tried searching the forums but there was not a solution that worked for me.

I just downloaded and installed Filemaker server, on Windows 7 Ultimate. (Which should meet the win 7 proffessional  requirement) I keep getting an error that says "the database server is not available, to edit deployment database server needs to be started first."  I have the option to Restart or Cancel. When I choose Restart, I get another error stating: "Unable to start the database server. Please contact system administrator." Well, that's me.

In the Services viewer, FileMaker Server is Started and Running

In the Event Viewer, I have a bunch of errors (presumably one for each time I try to start the db server).

Remote Administrator connection from 127.0.0.1 was refused.

1. is there a fix to this?

2. why is it trying to remote connect to a local host?

Also, I run a 'locked' down configuration of windows. I have a large number of 'access this machine from elsewhere' services turned off. 

3. Is there a list of service dependencies for FileMaker Server?  So, I can check if I need to enable any of the ones I don't use?

thank you for any help in problem solving

-Dylan

• 1. Re: Database server not available
          TSGal

Dylan Valentine:

Thank you for your post.

The Admin Console can be launched from any machine, as it then accesses FileMaker Server remotely.  Make sure ports 5003, 16000 and 16001 are open (if you have a firewall).  Additional ports may be needed.  For more information about open ports, please see Knowledge Base Article #6427 at:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6427

Open the Task Manager and make sure fmadminserver.exe process is running.  If not, then enter the following command in a command prompt:

fmsadmin RESTART ADMINSERVER

If still a problem, then temporarily turn off the "locked" down configuration of Windows.

Please keep me posted with any progress.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Database server not available
            DylanValentine

Thank you for you response.

I do have those ports open in McAfee firewall. Actually, for all the following info, both the firewall and realtime scanning were disabled.

This is sort of a history of how I got where I am with troubleshotoing. skip to the end if you just want to know where I am at now.

After running the command: fmsadmin RESTART ADMINSERVER  There was new errors:

Event 7030,  The FileMaker Server service is marked as an interactive service.  However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services.  This service may not function properly.

Event 7001, The Net.Tcp Listener Adapter service depends on the Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service service which failed to start because of the following error:
            The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

Event 7030, The Bonjour Service service is marked as an interactive service.  However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services.  This service may not function properly.

So, then I enabled: A large amount of services including  Interactive Services Detection

I got the error: Event 20106, Unable to add the interface {9AE8F446-B676-42A8-B292-289174B0AB9B} with the Router Manager for the IPV6 protocol. The following error occurred: Cannot complete this function.

I enabled IPv6 on my network adaptor.

Then got the error: Event 121, ATIeRecord, ATI EEU Client has failed to start

I traced this to corrupted codec package (Microsoft Esentials Codec Pack), I uninstalled it.

Then the error: Event 100 Bonjour Service, 496: ERROR: read_msg errno 10054 (An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.)

Then I installed Microsoft Message Queue (MSMQ) and Windows Communication Foundation (WCF)

then got errors:

Event 121 MSiSCSI, The firewall exception to allow Internet Storage Name Server (iSNS) client functionality is not enabled. iSNS client functionality is not available.

Event 1500, SNMP, The SNMP Service encountered an error while accessing the registry key SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SNMP\Parameters\TrapConfiguration.

I fixed the SNMP error by adding the key to the Registry, per Microsoft Knowledge Base

NOW, My Current errors:

Event 33 SideBySide, Activation context generation failed for "C:\Python26\Lib\distutils\command\wininst-8_d.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50608.0" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

Event 63 SideBySide, Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Web Publishing\publishing-engine\php\extras\openssl\openssl.exe.Manifest".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files (x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Web Publishing\publishing-engine\php\extras\openssl\openssl.exe.Manifest" on line 8. The value "0.9.8g" of attribute "version" in element "assemblyIdentity" is invalid.

Event FileMaker Server 11, Remote administrator connection from 127.0.0.1 was refused.

I am still hunting. This afternoon, I think I'll back up a bit and just try a remote connection today.

Something else I tried yesterday: I unistalled filemaker server and installed it with administrator privilages.

I kept getting a diolog:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/827074/messageError.png

when I clicked to get the message, it switches to the Admin desktop, with only a terminal window open, and a dialog that says 'return' as my only option.

It makes me think that i still don't have the neccessary services installed.

any more insight or ideas would be appreciated.

496: ERROR: read_msg errno 10054 (An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.)496: ERROR: read_msg errno 10054 (An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.)
            • 3. Re: Database server not available
              DylanValentine

well, I am sorry to say, I think am giving up on this. 

I cannot connect to the filemaker server.  I can remote into the Win7 machine from WinVista and perform basic administrative duties, like adjust file sharing and account permissions. There is nothing left for me to install or turn on.  

so, I have a few final questions before finally throwing in the towel:

I did install filemaker server on my MacBook. It needed to add 6 new rules to the firewall. 

[FM Web Publishing, fmiwppf, fmserver_helperd, fmseverd, fmxdbc_listener.bundle, java]

I was only adding two Rules to the Windows firewall, one to allow fmsadmin.exe all access and another to allow access to/from all ports used by the FMS.

Should I have an equivalent number of rules added to Windows? 

Besides enabling these rules, should any additional permissions be set in Windows Firewall Advanced ? 

If you check the screen clips,

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/827074/winFirewallAdv1.png 

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/827074/winFirewallAdv2.png

even though I have enable these openings in the firewall, there is still a large number of un-enabled rules blocking system administration from non-user accounts. Do these additional rules need enabled?

When I check the FMS Service, it is running under 'NT_AUTHORITY/SYSTEM'. Should it be running under 'SERVE/Dylan' , my user account?

Does having Apache2 and MySQL installed on the same machine make a difference? (although I assume this should be fine to enable custom web publishing)

Does FMS depend on any part of IIS?

Alternatively, can I install FMS on a Linux server?

Hopefully, there will be some resolve to all this. 

-Dylan

• 4. Re: Database server not available
                TSGal

Dylan Valentine:

Thank you for all the other information.

Let's start with the easy things first.  FileMaker Server will not run on a Linux server.  FileMaker Server only depends on IIS if you plan to publish your database files to the web (Instant Web Publishing, Customer Web Publishing).

If you are on Windows 7, you would not be using Apache for publishing databases to the web; only IIS.

As it states in the "Getting Started" documentation - Chapter 1 - "For best performance, run FileMaker Server on a dedicated machine reserved for use as a database server. When FileMaker Server is hosting many clients or a large number of database files, it uses a high level of processor, hard disk, and network capacity. Other processor-intensive software or heavy network traffic on the same machine will cause FileMaker Server to run more slowly and degrade the performance of FileMaker Pro on client machines."  Therefore, having Apache2 and MySQL installed on the same machine may make a difference.

If you don't have access to a dedicated server, then I would start by turning off the firewall and stripping down to the basic configuration.  Then, follow the instructions in the Getting Started Guide to get things up and running.  Then, you can start making the modifications to see how it affects FileMaker Server.

The Getting Started guide can be accessed through our web site at:

http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/docs/fms/fms11_getting_started_en.pdf

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.