3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2008 4:37 PM by rmanook

Determining Need for Upgrade?

mhale

Title

Determining Need for Upgrade?

Your post

We are a small non-profit using FMPro 6.0v2 on clients and FMPro Server 5.5 on a small, older server. 400MB total files, including about 9000 master records and 65000 detail records (rest of files are ancillary).  We are experiencing slowing response times, but have only 1-2 users.  Would upgrade to newer server or client versions speed up response? (In contrast, the same data in Microsoft Access, on the server, responds in 1 second compared with 5 or more minutes for a complex query.)

Can use any help.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Determining Need for Upgrade?
          rmanook

Hi mhale,

Thanks for posting.

By design, FileMaker Server 9 is created with a better performance output than FileMaker Server 5.5.  Also, just the upgrade of the server machine and its specs may help out.  If you have machines that can support FileMaker Server 9 and FileMaker Pro 9, I would recommend downloading our free trial software and giving it a test run.  You can download the trials under the Trial Software section here: 

http://www.filemaker.com/support/downloads/?csr=support_downloads

The .fp5 files will convert to .fp7 but the .fp7 files will not overwrite the original files.  That means that you can do a test run of a FileMaker 9 environment and not have to worry about damaging any of your databases.

That said, I believe the necessity of the upgrade is relative to the user.  If you're happy with your solution and everything is working well (for the most part) do you really need to spend for an upgrade?  I would start by looking at your solution and seeing if there is anything you can do with it to increase performance.  Does a compact copy help?  Are there any fields that do not need to be indexed?  Can you cut down on unstored calculations?  Are there any dead file references? 

I would definitely 'try before you buy' and work on the solution first.  Hope this helps.

Thanks,

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Determining Need for Upgrade?
            mhale
               What are hardware requirements for FM Server 9?
            • 3. Re: Determining Need for Upgrade?
              rmanook

mhale:

You can find the system requirements for FileMaker Server 9 in Knowledge Base article 6428 (Support > Knowledge Base).

Here is the link to the Knowledge Base:

http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php

Thanks!

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc.