7 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2017 7:32 PM by strophy

downloading a database with Admin Console fails

alternapop

Title

downloading a database with Admin Console fails

Your post

I have a FMP 13.0.5 server running on Windows 2008 R2.   I manage the server and we have various FMP developers who create databases.

Today both the developer and I tried to download a closed database via the Admin Console on two different client computers and it failed both times.   The Admin Console shows a white spinning circle in the corner, then it quickly changes to yellow, then red and never does anything.

There are empty folders on the server in this directory created by the failed download:

C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Admin\admin-master-tomcat\temp

I tried with Mac Google Chrome, I don't know which browser the developer tried.   There is plenty of free hard drive space on the server and the server meets the recommended ram/cpu requirements.

• 1. Re: downloading a database with Admin Console fails

alternapop:

Thank you for the post. 

I am unable to replicate. To attempt to replicate, I performed the following steps:

1. Logged into the Admin Console

2. Highlighted a database > Clicked Folder Icon (top right) > Clicked “Close”

3. Clicked Folder Icon (top right) > Clicked “Download Database”

Safari 7.0.6 immediately downloaded the database file. I then tested Chrome 41 and got “Pop Up Blocked” in the top right of the browser. Afterwards, I allowed Pop-Ups in Google Chrome and was able to successfully download the database. 

Are Pop-Ups allowed on your browser? If so, then am I missing a step to replicate?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: downloading a database with Admin Console fails
            alternapop

I've seen it work and not work.  Popups are allowed.

On the server I'm seeing it fail on I just created a small test db (2 MB) and it worked.  I used Mac Google Chrome it downloaded a .zip file.

I duplicated the live database that failed (It's 7.5 GB) and renamed it something different and left it closed.  Trying to download it the same way as the above small test db fails.  The progress animation goes from white to yellow to red and keeps spinning indefinitely.  The server creates a "temp" folder but the process appears to hangup/timeout.  This temp folder temporarily contains a 0kb .zip file with the same name as the db but it disappears.

I tried both databases with Safari and got the same result (small file worked, large file doesn't) although with Safari the Admin Console interface shows a large red error message after a few minutes: 

Communication problem
            Take note of any unsaved data, and click here to continue.

Additionally, I've seen this process download a .fm12 file and sometimes a .zip file.  What determines which one the server sends?

• 3. Re: downloading a database with Admin Console fails

alternapop:

Thank you for the additional information. 

The large file was the key to replicating. After attempting to download a 14 GB file, I was able to replicate what you describe. I am unsure what size determines if the file will be zipped, so I will gather some additional information. 

Additionally, I forwarded a report to Testing and Development for review. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: downloading a database with Admin Console fails

alternapop:

Page 110 of the FileMaker Server 13 Help Guide covers the reason a zip file is created.

“FileMaker Server creates a .zip file containing the selected databases. 

If the databases use container fields that store objects externally, then FileMaker Server creates

folders for the external container field objects, and includes the external container field objects

and folders in the .zip file.”

The information from Testing about the size limitation for downloading a database using the Admin Console is 2 GB. If the file is larger than 2 GB, then use one of the other documented methods to retrieve the file.

Copying a FileMaker database hosted on FileMaker Server

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: downloading a database with Admin Console fails
                  alternapop

Is the size limitation set that way for any technical reason?  Can it be changed, perhaps by editing a server config file, or another way?

Thanks for the info.

• 6. Re: downloading a database with Admin Console fails

alternapop:

Thank you for the reply.

Development says that this is a limitation of the program as currently designed. 

If you would like to see a change in this behavior, I would encourage you to enter this as a suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

These web form suggestions are monitored and read by our Development and Product Management departments and then discussed and considered for a future release. Although I could copy and paste your post into the web form, there are some questions asked that only you can answer.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: downloading a database with Admin Console fails
                      strophy

Hi, I came across this problem as well while trying to export a very small database - only 7MB, but with a few file containers attached. FileMaker attempts to zip the file, opens a connection to download, but sends 0 bytes. This strikes me as more of a bug than a design limitation, since it is clearly trying to complete an operation and failing silently without an error message. If it was a known design limitation then an error message should appear explaining why this action is not possible.

As a workaround, I was able to set up a backup schedule and use that file to get a copy of the database.