5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2016 7:38 AM by bhagara

ENORMOUS BUG plus a MINOR BUG

melastudio

Title

ENORMOUS BUG plus a MINOR BUG

Your post

It's happened twice. The first time I did not understood but the second...

Well

Recently I have installed two demo version of FileMaker Server 10. Brand new machine so I have first installed Mac OS X 10.5, made all the update and installed FMS.

Now the fact

When MacOSX prompted me to create a new user I chose fmserver (when a machine has the only scope to run FileMaker Server my default choice is that!). Then I created a second user for admin the machine and I downgraded the FMServer user to standard.

MINOR BUG

When I tried to install FMServer 10 with the FMServer user the installer, after asked me the admin pass, errored me telling that the server is still executing! I tried some thing but I've solved only logging with the admin user...

After the installation of FM Server it prompted me to create the login for the admin console.

Here the problem: I chose again FMServer.

After that it seemed all OK but after a restart... The big surprise! The FMServer user of macosx has disappeared!

It makes no more login and in the pref pane user is not listed. But the folder in the user folder named "FMServer" still exist.

I've no more words...

An update is strongly recommended...

• 1. Re: ENORMOUS BUG plus a MINOR BUG
          TSGal

melastudio:

Thank you for your post.

I'm a little confused, so let me try to summarize what I see.

1. On Mac OS X 10.5 machine, creation of user "FMServer".

2. creation of second user (unknown name).

3. Logged into user "FMServer".

4. Tried to install FileMaker Server 10, but said server was still executing.

5. Solved by logging with Admin user (Is this the same as step #2?)

6. After installing with Admin, tried to create login for Admin Console .  Rejected "FMServer" name.

7. Tried to log back into machine under user "FMServer" but no longer exists.

You believe FileMaker Server 10 removed your Mac user "FMServer".

Correct?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: ENORMOUS BUG plus a MINOR BUG
            melastudio

I'm a little confused, so let me try to summarize what I see.

1. On Mac OS X 10.5 machine, creation of user "FMServer".

OK 

2. creation of second user (unknown name).

admin

3. Logged into user "FMServer".

yes

4. Tried to install FileMaker Server 10, but said server was still executing.

yes 

5. Solved by logging with Admin user (Is this the same as step #2?)

yes 

6. After installing with Admin, tried to create login for Admin Console .  Rejected "FMServer" name.

NO. Not rejected. It has been accepted. No advise of duplicate name, no error at all...

7. Tried to log back into machine under user "FMServer" but no longer exists.

You believe FileMaker Server 10 removed your Mac user "FMServer".

Correct?

Yes. I think that it changed the ID of my user from 10xx to the standard ID of FMServer user...

I recognize that the name of the os user that I chose it's ambiguous...

But before replacing or changing attribute in an existing user I hope in an advice!

• 3. Re: ENORMOUS BUG plus a MINOR BUG
              TSGal

melastudio:

I'm still having difficulty duplicating this process.

1. I installed Filemaker Server 10 under user account "FMServer".

2. I created a second user named "Admin"

3. I logged back into "FMServer", but FileMaker Server is still installed.

4. I logged into Admin user and started Admin Console.  I stopped processes and quit FileMaker Server.

5. I logged into FMServer account and restarted Admin Console.

What should I do next?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: ENORMOUS BUG plus a MINOR BUG
                melastudio

Thank you for interesting; it's really appreciated!

Talking about that in an Italian list it seems clear that the problem is my choiche of the name of the macosx account (short name fmserver): in fact FileMaker Server creates a user called the same way.

So an expert consultant should know this behavior and should avoid naming this way the macosx user. I think this is not the solution but, simply, a remedy; the solution is that the installer of FileMaker Server alerts the user when this situation happens. The best thing should be that FileMaker server uses a reserved word so that the user can create an account with that name (for example: it's not possible to create an account root). But this kind of solution involved Apple and, i think, it's the most difficult...

So I try to re-explain what I've done:

1. I installed mac os ox and then created an account "fmserver"
                2. I created an account "admin" as administrator and downgraded "fmserver" to standard
                3. I tried to install with "fmserver" account but error (the server is running) 
                4. So I installed Filemaker Server 10 under user account "admin".
                5. So I've done the first run and setup of FMServer (user e pass for login in the admin console was again both "fmserver" but I think this is not the problem)
                6. I restarted the machine.

After restart of the machine the account fmserver of macosX was still in its place (the user folder) but it doesn't appeared in login window and in the account pref pane.

I hope this helps you understand... 

Best Regard