10 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2011 10:23 AM by philmodjunk

Error on back-up after FMSA 11.0.3.30 Update

pgageler

Title

Error on back-up after FMSA 11.0.3.30 Update

Your post

I installed the 11.0v3 update for FMSA (11.0.3.309) last Friday. Today a scheduled back-up failed unexpectedly, with the Server sending me three error messages:

FileMaker Server 11.0.3.309 on Capability & HR Services (HSTFMP01) reported the following event:

2011-05-03 15:03:37.270 +1000 Error 702 Capability & HR Services (HSTFMP01) Backup of Remuneration failed due to lock conflict with database users or other error. (8003)

______

FileMaker Server 11.0.3.309 on Capability & HR Services (HSTFMP01) reported the following event: 

2011-05-03 15:03:42.426 +1000 Error 642 Capability & HR Services (HSTFMP01) Schedule "Back-Up Daily 1500 (3pm)" aborted; unexpected error. (8003)

______

2011-05-03 15:03:42.426 +1000 Error 729 Capability & HR Services (HSTFMP01) Backup aborted by user or due to error; some incomplete files may be left in destination. (8003)

In many months of use, this schedule has never failed before - the only thing that has changed is the update that was applied last Friday. The server (Hardware) was restarted after the update.

Whatever happened, it so affected the server that I was unable to stop it, either through the console or as a Service. The console also showed 39 people connected even though none were [it was after work hours].

I had to restart the server - and it got stuck in shutting down, so that my IS friends had to intervene.

Can any explain these error codes or what might be causing the problem?

• 1. Re: Error on back-up after FMSA 11.0.3.30 Update

PGageler:

Thanks for posting!

This is Server 2003, correct?

I believe I may have found a similar issue that's currently being investigated by our Development department. To verify we're looking at the same thing, I'd like to gather some logs. Please check your inbox for a message from me detailing specifically which logs I'd like and where to send them.

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Error on back-up after FMSA 11.0.3.30 Update

PGageler:

Thanks! I received the logs you sent over. To confirm, you did not find any .dmp files within the Logs folder, correct? Are you currently using any third party plugins?

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Error on back-up after FMSA 11.0.3.30 Update
              pgageler

TSBear:

That's corrcet, there were were no .dmp files in the Logs folder. The folder contents were exactly as provided.

We are not using any third party plug-in on the server. Users generally have Moo-Plug installed on their client systems.

• 4. Re: Error on back-up after FMSA 11.0.3.30 Update

PGageler:

Could you give us a bit more info on the schedule that failed? Are you using the Verify backup integrity option? How often do you perform back ups? If you are using the Verify option, do you do this with all back ups?

TSBear
                FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: Error on back-up after FMSA 11.0.3.30 Update
                  pgageler

TSBear:

No, I do not verify the backup.

From the error messages, the problem seemed to occur on a single database, which is one of ten or so that are all backed-up as part of one schedule, twice each day.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Error on back-up after FMSA 11.0.3.30 Update

PGageler:

If this hasn't occurred since and there were no .dmp files generated, I think we may have to tentatively chalk this up to a one-time fluke. If this occurs again, please let us know so we can investigate further.

TSBear
                    FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: Error on back-up after FMSA 11.0.3.30 Update
                      pgageler

TSBear:

Last Friday I had a problem where the same database (the one that reportedly failed to back-up, in my original post) seemed to freeze for users, even though new users could log into the entry screen of that DB. and could continue to use all other hosted databases without problem.

As was the case with the back-up incident, the Server Console showed ghost entries and became inoperable. I was unable to close the databases via the Console, could not stop the Service (Windows) and ended up having to restart the hardware.

So I am not sure the back-up schedule was the problem, but instead a problem with this key database. We have never experienced problems with this database before. This problem has only occurred since the last server update.

• 8. Re: Error on back-up after FMSA 11.0.3.30 Update

PGageler:

If you run recover on this file, does it report any issues found? Would reverting to a back up from before the v3 update was applied be a possibility?

TSBear
                        FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: Error on back-up after FMSA 11.0.3.30 Update
                          pgageler

TSBear:

Thanks for that. I just tried recovering the file, resulting in the following:

WARNING: problems were detected while recovering the database.  The recovered file should NOT be used going forward; copy only the most recent work from it into a backup copy of the original file.
                          File blocks: scanned and rebuilt 21253 block(s), dropped 0 invalid data block(s)
                          Schema: scanned fields and tables; some problems were found...
                          0   fields created to match record data: 0
                          0   field values deleted due to invalid ID or repetition: 0
                          0   records deleted due to invalid ID: 0
                          0 Structure: scanned; 3 item(s) modified
                          0 File size after recovery is 88186880 bytes

I can't see anything information in the log file to explain what the "problems" were or what in the Structure was modified.

I'm not sure what is meant by "copy only the most recent work". How do I know what is most recent on a large and complex database that had data being updated across all tables? Should I be trying to copy all data in all tables across to a back-up?

• 10. Re: Error on back-up after FMSA 11.0.3.30 Update
                            philmodjunk

Some times, your only option is to save a clone of your back up and then import all data from the recovered copy.

If you can compare a backup copy that recovers cleanly ( you need to check it by recovering it also), to your current file, you may be able to identify all records that were added or modified since the back up. If so, you can save time and more safely import data by just importing those records.