2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2008 11:22 AM by JGriff

Errors trying to Sort Records with Upgraded FM Database

JGriff

Title

Errors trying to Sort Records with Upgraded FM Database

Your post

I work for a non-profit company and this year we upgraded our filemaker server to 9 and filemaker pro for clients to 7. We have a small office with a mac network. We run the server 9 on our mac xserve and the filemaker pro 7 on the client machines for remote access. Ever since upgrading, our database has had some weird errors. 

Every time you open the database and click "Sort Records," it does the following before sorting:
      -A window pops up and says "50 States" could not be opened. (Not Found), and you have to click "OK"
      -Then the "Open File" window pops up and says "50 States" could not be found. Please locate the file or click cancel to cancel any further requests for this file. And you have to click cancel.
      -A window pops up and says "CCAF Master Database.fp7" could not be opened. Either the host is not available or the file is not available on that host." (This isn't even the name of our database) You have to click "OK"
      -Then the "Open File" window pops up and you have to click cancel.
      -This is when you finally get to the "Sort Records" window.

The next time you sort this doesn't happen unless you have closed and reopened the database, then you have to go through all that again. Is this an issue with some kind of missing field, or reference document that maybe didn't get transfered properly? If so why would this not have any issues on the older filemaker server database that we have been using for years? We have also noticed a major loss in speed when you open the database remotely. If someone can clue me in on how to fix this, it would be very much appreciated.
      Thanks!

Jenny

• 1. Re: Errors trying to Sort Records with Upgraded FM Database
          rmanook

Hi JGriff,

Thanks for posting!

This is the usual behavior when a solution is having issues with lost file references.  This may be due to a server machine change during your upgrade, the fact that that the databases are now in a different location,or the databases are no longer part of the solution.  Either way, there may be file references in your solution that are possibly no longer valid (the file reference path does not properly point to the particular database).

In terms of the major speed loss you have noted during launch, broken file references can directly affect performance.  When a database has file references, it will look at the list of file references during launch and open the other databases.  If a file reference is broken, the database will get hung up searching for the referenced database.

Let's open the 'problem' database and go to File > Define > File References.  Make sure that the file references listed here are correct; I suspect that we may see some issues with references for the 50 States and CCAF Master Database files.  Here, you can remove any dead references or add new ones.  Note that you can also remove any file references that include an asterisk or * to increase performance time.

Let me know if there is anything else I can clarify for you.

Thanks,

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Errors trying to Sort Records with Upgraded FM Database
            JGriff

Hi tsturtle,

Thank you so much for this suggestion! We're not really sure where or why those references came from. We even checked the old server that hosted filemaker before we upgraded and we couldn't find either of these files or references. Deleting them fixed the sort issue we've been having.

Thanks Again,

Jenny