2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2013 4:31 AM by Vincent_L

ExecuteSQL in scripts on database deployed on FM Server 12 - supported or not?

CraigVolonoski

Title

ExecuteSQL in scripts on database deployed on FM Server 12 - supported or not?

Your post

I have a FM application (UI) that makes heavy use of the ExecuteSQL script step to interact with a MySQL backend.  The ExecuteSQL page in the doc (http://www.filemaker.com/12help/html/scripts_ref2.37.69.html) says that this step is NOT supported in "FileMaker Server scheduled scripts" (FM Server 12 by itself is not listed).  In the script editor, when "FileMaker Server" is chosen as the compatability mode, the ExecuteSQL script grays out.  However, when I upload the application to FM Server and open from a remote client the step appears to function (although it does require an ODBC driver and DSN to be installed on each client pointing to the MySQL database over the network).  Note that I am not using "scheduled scripts" - my scripts are triggered from buttons via user activity.

So - in my configuration, can I count on ExecuteSQL or not?  If it was unsupported, I wouldn't expect it to work at all, but it seems to.  Perhaps the documentation is imprecise and should list "FM Server (except scheduled scripts)" as supported and the compatability mode should have both options as well.  Anyway, it would be great to deploy worry-free in FM Server and get around the 9-user limit in Pro peer-to-peer, but I worry - why is this listed as unsupported if it works?  Is there another aspect of it that may come back to bite me?

Thanks!